E6300 No Longer Stable At Default Settings?

NateDawg80126

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Ok so here is the deal, I built this machine about a year and a half ago and I am having issues keeping it stable even at its default values.
The specs are as fallows:
Intel E6300
ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi/Fi
2 x 1Gb Corsair XMS2Pro 6400 4,4,4,12
Seagate 320 Sata 2
EVGA 8800GTS 640
Zalman 9700 LED
Creative X-Fi Soundblaster Xtreme Gamer Professional
Windows XP Professional
So everything ran great when I bought it and I planned to overclock from the get go, for the first year I had it clocked at 3.3Gh, totally stable after heavy stress testing with prime95 for at least 15 hours, maybe more but i cant remember exactly. The voltages were not anything ridiculous, around 1.35, and with my heat sink, temps would never go above 63 at load. I then decided that I wanted to try and optimize things as much as I could and dropped it down a few times, eventually leaving it at 2.8Ghz, allowing my memory to run at the stock 800Mhz, and the vcore at 1.18. This is where I am now, and about 6 months ago I started to notice some issues with game play and everyday desktop performance. The first thing I noticed, and probably the most annoying issue is that after about an hour or so of heavy usage, games mostly, it will start to stutter ever so slightly, once ever second or so. My frame rate is still good and so are temperatures on my video card and CPU, if i restart my computer it goes away temporarily, but will return after another hour or so of gaming.
And recently it has become even worse, I have fiddled around with memory timings, loosening them to 5,5,5,15, and auto settings which for some reason are 5,5,5,18, well above the Corsair ratings, and this seems to show little improvement to the stuttering. After that I decided to try and simply run my CPU at default values, a rather unimpressive 1.87Ghz, just to keep the computer rock solid stable, and in hopes of keeping the stuttering at bay. But to my dismay, setting everything to auto for voltages, and having the memory timings at both the recommended 4,4,4,12 and auto settings of 5,5,5,18, I am now unstable and fail prime95 in less than an hour, and will get random blue screens during extended game play.
The only abnormal things about my setup are 1, my video card, the PCI-E frequency has to be bumped up to 112 for the motherboard to set itself to 16x, otherwise its stuck at 1x, a common issue for P5B owners. And my sound card which for whatever reason refuses to run on any drivers except the ones that came with it on the disk, any updated versions cause windows to crash shortly after showing my desktop.
I do also add a slight video card overclock before playing CoD4, but I always bump the fan to max and its turned back down for normal desktop usage.
Just recently i ran a memtest 86 test and it was perfect up until the 9th pass with no errors, when everything seized up showing nothing but the errors going crazy from 0 to somewhere in the ballpark of 3900 or something. This was done at default everything and memory timings at 4,4,4,12. Also done with a boot disk, not some windows app, if there is such a thing. I don't know much about that utility or how it works but i just assumed the PC crashed... it had been running overnight and after 8 clear, error free passes, the memory was probably fine.
Anyways I am looking for any insight or suggestions to these issues. I have thought for a while that the CPU was just dying after extended periods of overclocked use. But the really strange thing is that it will run prime95 fine at 2.8Ghz, more stable overclocked than at lower default values? Nothing here adds up to me at all so out of desperation I have come to the masses for insight. Any similar problems or any suggestions as to solutions are definitely accepted here and I tried to be thorough with the specifics but if more information is needed, just ask.

G

I'm having similar issues with my own system... with my gpu AND my cpu... its quite annoying actually... because now when I need the extra power from my system... I can't have it

ASUS + Corsair = Nightmare, My XMS6400 C5's were detected as C4's etc - manually set the ram settings

Update the video card bios, and the motherboard bios and see wether that 1x gets fixed along the way to eliminate the pcie overclock.

He only had it @ 2.8 i believe?

On the other hand my old rig with the same ASUS P5B Deluxe/Wifi App, E6600 @ 3200/1600 after over a year solid, when i switched to a Q6600 (G0) and it hated cold starts - capacitor ware i take it...

Upgraded to a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R anyhow so all good now.

Makes me wonder how the Pentium D's (8 series) went in most motherboards since the load was insane...

gho3t

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Dude, whats your PSU like? My friends and I had this issue cause we were noobs and used the case PSU, burnt out within a year and everything got really unstable. If you dont have a good PSU try and borrow a gigabyte Odin, thermaltake, silverstone or similar PSU to see if it helps the problem.

NateDawg80126

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I should have mentioned my PSU from the get go, my mistake. Anyways its a nice one, 620 watt Corsair modular setup. I also should have mentioned that my bios are current. I have the version just below the last release, which adds compatibility for some of the 45nm chips, I saw nothing in regards to my setup so I figured don't bother, but there have been bios updates since the problem started occurring and no changes. I have not however updated my video card bios, how is this done and is it going to improve performance?
I will also add that from what I have read, generally CPU failure is a bit more pronounced, and if that were in fact the case, why would it be able to run stable at 2.8Ghz?

This sounds more and more like a Corsair + ASUS Issues, the bios has more then just the usual timings - that would be your key, i spent days tuning them cause my corsair was so fussy, i cant remember what to set them all to tho

Up the memory vcore to 2.2v or more and see what does for you