Question Regarding Duel GFX Cards

I have a question about a system I am building and still contemplating over certain parts. I have a Phenom AMD Quad core 9500 and I am wanting to Use Nvidia Cards for it , Duels with the SLI , now the question I have is that possible to do with an AMD Processor and Motherboard with CrossfireX or do I have to get the Nvidia SLI board to run duel Nvidia Cards? I know this seems kinda wack to some but I have my mind set to use AMD Phenom Processor since I already Have one. Any help would be appreciated for some information.
27 answers Last reply
More about question duel cards
  1. To run SLI, you will need an SLI board. In order to run Crossfire, you will need a Crossfire board. They can not be interchanged.
  2. For future reference, check there are other articles on this. You have to have an Nvidia motherboard to run SLI.
  3. DUAL! Learn it.

DUAL!
  4. Slobogob said:
    DUAL! Learn it.

DUAL!

^Yes, thank you.....
  5. What's wrong with dueling SLI?
  6. Vaylgar said:
    I have a question about a system I am building and still contemplating over certain parts. I have a Phenom AMD Quad core 9500 and I am wanting to Use Nvidia Cards for it , Duels with the SLI , now the question I have is that possible to do with an AMD Processor and Motherboard with CrossfireX or do I have to get the Nvidia SLI board to run duel Nvidia Cards? I know this seems kinda wack to some but I have my mind set to use AMD Phenom Processor since I already Have one. Any help would be appreciated for some information.

I believe your question is can you have and AMD processor and NVIDIA SLI the answer is yes, I'm no expert on AMD motherboards but I've only seen them for Athlon 64 Quad FX, none for Phenom yet. BTW you only need to say SLI or Crossfire for everyone to know you mean 2 cards.
  7. The nvidia 780a boards or whatever they're called that will have the hybrid SLI are supposed to be AM2+ phenom compatible.
  8. Yes sorry, Baddad you are exactly right about my question , I was referring to being able to use a AMD Phenom CPU with a Nvidia Motherboard. I wasn't sure if there were are specific ramifications for this , I am a die hard AMD fan , regardless of who runs benchmarks better , I have run both and AMD almost always runs my programs and Games better then Intel. I just wanted to know if there were any conflicts with using an SLI Motherboard with an AMD processor if this was possible.
  9. I know I have to use an Nvidia board to run SLI and a AMD to run crossfire some of you please try reading a little more careful , I did in fact search for the answer on here and other forums I use , I did not find the answer to this question anywhere and if you see a post somewhere I did not then please by all means link it here.
    Thanks to everyone trying to help and not being sarcastic.
    My question is towards the compatibility of using an AMD CPU with a SLI Motherboard chipset.
    No Offense but I am a Die hard AMD CPU fan but when it comes to ATI Video cards I have had issues with them everytime I have ever used them. I had driver issues and one actually ended up totally and completely digging into my system to the point I couldn't get the drivers out without using a 3rd party program to rip out the drivers from the ATI Card, I upgraded these drivers on a new ATI X850 pro a few years ago when I purchased this card and did an automatic update on catalyst drivers (Huge mistake) and it ended up messing up my system in a bad way, ran slow , frame rates bottomed out I ended up having to reformat and reinstall after 3 days of ATI tech help which ended up being no help at all, as no one at their company knew how to remove the drivers or fix the problem. I have been using Nvidia since they came out and ive never had ANY issues with driver updates or otherwise changing cards, I just want to be able to use Nvidia GFX cards with my AMD CPU.
  10. Seems my issue is going to be finding a AMD AM2+ Socket Motherboard with SLI chipset with the proper FSB. After looking for that specific motherboard seems no one makes one that I cant find :(
  11. competing companies dont tend to support each other's products
  12. Evilonigiri said:
    To run SLI, you will need an SLI board. In order to run Crossfire, you will need a Crossfire board. They can not be interchanged.

You can run crossfire on an nvidia sli board and vice versa, Toms did an article on it, and found NO performance differences at all, was quite a while back now..........
  13. uk_gangsta said:
    You can run crossfire on an nvidia sli board and vice versa, Toms did an article on it, and found NO performance differences at all, was quite a while back now..........

That's news to me. Are there any recent articles on this?
  14. uk_gangsta said:

I think you are mistaken UK_GANGSTA. The article is about running ATI cards on nVidia chipsets and vice versa.
    It was not about Crossfire or SLI, they will not work on each others chipsets.
    There were reported to be hacked drivers that would allow this a year or more back, but what I read reported it was buggy and quite frankly did not work well. Hence, even trying to this anymore (crossfire on nVidia, SLI on ATI chipsets) has gone by the wayside.

You can, just to clarify, run ANY single card on any chipset without any problems or performance issues, as reported in the article at Tom's.
  15. jitpublisher said:
    I think you are mistaken UK_GANGSTA. The article is about running ATI cards on nVidia chipsets and vice versa.
    It was not about Crossfire or SLI, they will not work on each others chipsets.
    There were reported to be hacked drivers that would allow this a year or more back, but what I read reported it was buggy and quite frankly did not work well. Hence, even trying to this anymore (crossfire on nVidia, SLI on ATI chipsets) has gone by the wayside.

You can, just to clarify, run ANY single card on any chipset without any problems or performance issues, as reported in the article at Tom's.

No you can, and the article at toms was with crossfire as well, I know this works becuase my mate has bought an nvidia board, and run 2x 2600xt's in crossfire mode, ive actualy been on it when its working and crossfire was deffinatly enabled on his pc, the box was ticked.

Let me find the link on toms.....
  16. As the search function on toms is useless and doesnt go back far enough for me to find the articles, then im afraid i cant find the evidence to back up my claim.

Just been looking around and found out it's not possible, i just thought it was. Maybe my friend was being an idiot, he sent me the picture as a jpeg, so he probably forged it..........what a gimp.
  17. ok then anyone know how the Geforce XFX 8500GT Professional Series is doing as a card? is it worth getting ?
  18. seems to be from other sites reviews a damn good OC card as well. I think im sold.
  19. you wont be playing any games on it though
  20. why is that?
  21. the game bechmarks and shader speeds seem to be very impressive for the card. I would like to know why you say that?
  22. Vaylgar said:
    why is that?

Cause it's worse than the 7600GT, the last generation's midrange vidcard.

It OCs well, but you won't be able to run the lastest games on medium, depending the resolution.
  23. Vaylgar said:
    the game bechmarks and shader speeds seem to be very impressive for the card. I would like to know why you say that?

You don't want to trust the game benchmarks too much. You want to trust in actual benchmarks, the one where you actually play the game.
  24. no kidding? where are you guys seeing this information if you dont mind telling me I did extensive research on the card what i could find on it and only found good reviews and ratings on this Frailty series professional card.
  25. now im bummed cause I just bought this card a few days ago!! ROFL
  26. Vaylgar said:
    no kidding? where are you guys seeing this information if you dont mind telling me I did extensive research on the card what i could find on it and only found good reviews and ratings on this Frailty series professional card.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=856&model2=722&chart=275

Look through the various games. Even the Fata1ty card won't do you much good.
  27. Vaylgar said:
    now im bummed cause I just bought this card a few days ago!! ROFL

You can have fun OCing it further. Then get yourself a 10 series video card when it comes out.
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Nvidia Components