overclocked Q6600 with asus p5q pro 65mn @ 3.2GHz. voltage question??

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
hey everyone. well i got my rig all setup and overclocked to 3.2. i have a quad Q6600 on a asus p5q pro mobo with 4GB (2x2GB) corsair DDR2 800mHz 6400pc4dhx ram. no issues running prime95 v25.6 overnight. highest core temp was 54 on full load, core #0, all 3 others where lower. idle temps run low 30's. core voltage runs 1.32ish while loaded idles at 1.36. this runs the cpu at 3.2GHz and ram memory at 480MHz= 5:6 ratio 5-5-5-18 clicks. GPU is a asus ati 4850 and temp stays in mid to upper 30's overclocked using catalyst control. was able to get through crysis with all options set to high on 1900x1200 res.

more info;
bios version 0506
AI twicker menu; settings
Ai overclocker tuner.............manual
COU ratio.............................8.0
FSB freq...............................400
PCIE freq.............................101
FSB strap NB........................auto
DRAM freq............................961MHz
DRAM timing.........................auto
DRAM static read..................disabled
DRAM read training..............disabled
Mem. OC charger.................auto
AI clock twister....................auto
AI transaction booster.........auto
CPU volt...............................1.40
CPU PLL volt........................auto
FSB term volt.......................auto
DRAM volt............................2.0
NB volt.................................1.40
SB voltage...........................auto
PCIE SATA............................auto
load line calibration..............auto
CPU spread..........................disabled
PCIE spread.........................disabled

advanced menu settings;
C1E support.........................disabled
Max CPUID value limit..........disabled
Intel vurtualization...............enabled
CPU TM.................................enabled
execute disable BIT..............enabled

so that its. now i want to start to reduced the Vcore, NB voltage and/or DRAM voltage. just not sure where to start. i am thinking with the NB? i got this stable at 3.2 pretty qucik. only messed with the bios like three times. plenty fast for me and the temps are great. just not so sure on the voltages i am running. to review the voltages are Vcore 1.40, NB 1.40 and DRAM 2.0. should i leave them or adjust down, if down what first and what would you expect to get the voltages down to on each setting? sorry to say i did not check the VID on coretemp before i overclocked it, but it now reads 1.325v should i reset the bios back to defaults and boot up to check the VID on coretemp and then change the bios back and check the VID after that, then i am geuss set the temp to that????or lowest running voltage on cup-z????or something else?????

thanks in advance, i really dont want to burn up my new build. also if you see anything you would change in the bios please point it out and tell why if possible :D

FYI; using CPUID HWmonitor v1.0, coretemp v0.99.1, CPU-Z v1.45 and tested RAM with MEMTEST86+

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Personally - I would try and leave the chipset on auto, just let the motherboard handle those voltages, and see if you can maintain the overclock. At that point bring the cpu down slowly If it all works out.

when you are happy with your settings and positive it's stable, you can turn speedstep back on to save even more power and reduce heat. it will drop to 2.4 at idle.

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
well i tried that, assuming by saying "chipset" you mean Core voltage and NB voltage, everything worked just fine with those two on auto. buuttt... the core voltage went to 1.44. i planned on doing it the hard, reducing one little by little, but not sure which to adjust down first, CPU or NB or if it matters?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Northbridge is the motherboard chipset voltage only. There is no reason to increase the NB voltage at ALL unless you're exceeding the rated fsb of the board. Auto = 1.20 volts I think, set it to that or Auto. Also the memory isn't being overclocked here, so 1.8 or 1.9 volts is just fine. Thus the only thing that needs to be set manually is the CPU core voltage, and, accounting for vdroop I think 1.4275 or thereabouts is a good start. Monitor the vcore voltage in the chart function of Speedfan and see that it's about .04 above Vid at this frequency when running Prime95. You may also want to increase the pll voltage from 1.2 to 1.30.

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
ok new setting are as follows

CPU...........1.425
CPU PLL....auto (lowest setting manual was 1.5)
DRAM v......auto (lowest setting 1.8 RAM rated at 2.1)show memory type as DDR3?? this my memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145194
NB.............auto

PCIE freq...100

everything else is set as in the first post.
i could not use speed fan, doesnt have a confiq for my board. couldn't even find a p45 board.

anyway i ran the setting for a while on prime95's small FFT. here are some screen shots of it running and just after.

with prime95 testing small FFT.

load.jpg

just after testing

idle.jpg

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
so i am guessing i should maybe try this and slowly work my way down till it fails then go just above that test and hope nothing fails or is it cool at these setting? or?

BTW thanks for all the help.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Yes, drop the vcore voltage one step at a time until Prime95 fails, even after two hours, then put the vcore back up TWO steps and you should be utterly stable even under warm conditions.

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
well i tried an over night with the 1.425 on the core voltage and it only lasted one hour and ten minutes before failing. so now i am going to try 1.425 and set RAM for 2.1 since that is what its rated for. if it fails with that, i will start upping the NB from 1.2 till its stable, the core voltage i think should be fine as it went 23 hours running prime95 blend test with 1.40(NB was 1.40 also). then once i find a stable NB with the core volt at 1.425 then i will slowly bring down the core voltage.

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
ok that did not work, lasted 53min running prime95 blend. so i am now going to start messing with the NB. starting at 1.2 lets see what happens.

jmacfarlane

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I am about to buy the same components as the original poster and overclock the 6600 as well, so I have a few relevant questions:

1) since he was getting acceptable heat ratings originally, why even mess with the voltages?

2) someone commented that he was *not* overclocking his memory, but it's ddr2/800 memory and his original post said it was running at 933 so isn't that overclocked?

3) why not manually set the memoray ratio to 1:1 since he's running the FSB at 400, which would run the memory syncronously? Wouldn't that be more stable, at the cost of some performance for the RAM? How much performance would you sacrifice?

4) I'm not sure I understand when (if ever) you need to tweak your CAS settings *if* all you're doing is overclocking your CPU. If you're not trying to get more performance from your RAM, do you ever need to change CAS settings when you overclock the CPU? I'm guessing that the answer might be "yes," in order to have things run stably.

Thanks all!

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
well i would of should of, now i am in the mid of flashing my bios to 1004 and reloading my OS, just starting over. should have left it alone.

jmacfarlane

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Let me know what end up working for you, since I'll be doing this as well in about a month. Thanks in advance!

And let me know if you have any other questions -- I'm new to this, but sometimes just talking things out gets you to the right solution or helps you consider something you might otherwise have missed :)

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
yes that is so ture. and thanks. i hope my issue will help things go smooth for you. i think my registry got corrupted. ended up reinstalling windows. did playing and ended up with these settings.

AI twicker menu; settings
Ai overclocker tuner.............manual
COU ratio.............................8.0
FSB freq...............................400
PCIE freq.............................100
FSB strap NB........................auto
DRAM freq............................801MHz
DRAM timing.........................auto
DRAM static read..................disabled
DRAM read training..............disabled
Memhttp OC charger.................auto
AI clock twister....................moderate
AI transaction booster.........auto
CPU volt...............................1.40
CPU PLL volt........................auto
FSB term volt.......................auto
DRAM volt............................auto
NB volt.................................1.40
SB voltage...........................auto
PCIE SATA............................auto
load line calibration..............auto
CPU spread..........................disabled
PCIE spread.........................disabled

advanced menu settings;
C1E support.........................disabled
Max CPUID value limit..........disabled
Intel vurtualization...............disabled
CPU TM.................................disabled
execute disable BIT..............enabled

this seems pretty stable. the only issue i have is when i try to run prime95 over night. for some reason my computer reboots itself. the other night i ran prime95 for 8 hours~ish. no sign of issue, no error message, no event logged. dont know why it rebooted. i ran 2 hours of small FFT, 2 hours of large FFT and 2 hours of blend(all with round off checking) no problems. tried to run prime95 over night and my comptuer rebooted after about 6 hours, again no errors or anything indicating why, highest core temp wat 54. i think this may be a software issue. i can play crysis all day with high settings on 1900x1200res with no issues at all. maybe something on the hibernation or could be my wireless key board and mouse. i heard something about wireless mouses messing with things, i dont know but pretty sure i will keep these setting. i am going to try to run or at least open another program and let it sit over night to see if the computer rebooted with nothing running, just opened. openning the program is just to have something open so i can see if its still open in the AM. if not i know its likely to be a software issue. we will see. dont know what else to look into.

jmacfarlane

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
So you pretty much ended up where you started -- at 3.2 GHZ :) That's pretty darn good, though, and you get to run the RAM at 1:1 and the full 800 MHZ.

One thing you might try regarding the reboot issue is to put everything to stock settings -- un-do your overclock, etc. Then run prime95 overnight and see if you reboot. If you *don't* reboot, you'll know it's something about one of the settings that you changed that is causing the reboots -- though finding out exactly what it is will be. . . interesting ;)

And obviously if you do still reboot without overclocking, you know there's something else messed up. . .

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
well, i changed things up. with the multiplier set at 8x i think my ram was just to weak. i never could set the ram to manufactures 4-4-4-12@1.2v setting. with the multiplier set at 8x i could only run prime95 for 6-8hours. i played and played with the settings but it always crashed 6 hours or so into prime95. so i decided to go with the multiplier set at 9x. IT WORKED :bounce:

so i am still at 3.2GHz and these screen shots are of my first and only run with the multiplier set at 9x.

while running
RUNNINGs-1.jpg

after i stopped it.
STOPPEDs-1.jpg

krewlkid

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Hey, I'm running this same setup have trouble even getting to overclock at all, im new to overclocking

last setup was AMD dual core 5000+ with ASUS M2N-SLI i was able to get it to 2808mhz

some help would be appreciated.

my Q6600 is currently overclocked to 2405mhz, mimicing this setup