RAID 0 expansion on a Dell XPS 720

swordfish1030

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
1) I have a Dell XPS 720, it came with 2 WD Raptor 160gb drives in raid 0.. I want to get another
WD Raptor 160gb. I realize that I need to start all over and my information will be wiped
clean. The question that I have is is it possible to have the 3 raptors in raid 0 and to have a
750gb for storage, ( not part of the raid )? Will the system let me configure a set up like this?
The system will support 4 HD's and the 2 DVD drives at the same time but will it support one of the
drives ( the 750 gb ) the way I want it to?

2) I currently have Windows xp and at some point in the next few months i want to upgrade to
to Vista 64. I have heard of driver problems when trying to set up windows on a Raid like this.
What can I expect when installing XP and then later Vista 64??

3) Another question, COuld this system support 2 independent raid 0's? 2 drive on one and 2 on another??

Thank you.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
The question that I have is is it possible to have the 3 raptors in raid 0 and to have a
750gb for storage, ( not part of the raid )

Yes.

What can I expect when installing XP and then later Vista 64??

As long as you load the RAID drivers correctly during the installs, you shouldn't run into any issues. Although, sometimes the installs can have quirks such as having the OS drive set first in boot menu.

Another question, COuld this system support 2 independent raid 0's? 2 drive on one and 2 on another??

I'm going to say Yes, even though I don't know the specs of the mobo / hardware RAID. Easiest way to tell would probably be to go into the RAID building utility, and seeing if it will let you build it.