New Build Windows XP Pro Acts Strange at Startup Screen

shooterkc2007

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Hi everyone,

I have a new system consisting of a E6850, Gigabyte P35 DS3R, A-Data Vitesta DDR2-800, Zalman 9500 AT, 160GB MBR drive and 2 500GB not in Raid.

I installed the Gigabyte and Intel Pre-install F6 drivers via floppy and everything went well. I think all of my settings in the Bios were correct for AHCI, but if anyone has a DSR series and can verify that would be great!

After booting XP Pro, I installed the Express Driver from the Bearlake Motherboard CD and they all said successful.

My problem is that when windows boots the Windows XP splash screen, it seems to come up very slow and choppy and then my desktop appears a second of two later and everything seems fine although I am not completely convinced.

Here's the screen I'm talking about.
winxpsp2-boot.jpg

I'm used to that first XP splash screen popping up immediately in a non-choppy manner and then the blue Knight Rider bar scrolling across a few times and then the desktop coming up so I'm wondering if this is an indicator of a problem with my setup or configuration. It does seem like the splash screen just loads and the desktop appears so maybe it's just because the system is booting so fast, but this is the fastest processor I've had, so I don't know if that's it or if it's a AHCI SATA problem.

Sorry if this is confusing with my terminology. This is my first build and I just want to make sure everything is good before I start installing software and have to re-install windows.

Any input is appreciated and helpful as Gigabyte's manual bites.

Thank You,
Shooterkc2007

tizz

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Do you mean the blue bar that scrolls stops and starts? because it can do that as its loading things, mines not really smooth at all, although if its stops altogether scrolling you know there was a problem booting up.

Or do you mean the screen displays and then goes black and comes back?

shooterkc2007

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
No, the screen just is very slow to appear on the screen, it's doesn't go black and come back. It just kind of slow materializes. I'm used to it just popping up. That's why I wondered if the data isn't processing as quickly as it should due to incorrect settings. It probably takes 3 or 4 seconds for it to completely load the splash screen, but then it almost immediately loads my windows desktop. Does this make sense? I hope I'm explaning it well.