3870X2 where?!

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Well, as the two Triplex 3870s i had are being tested by OCUK on monday (i think) ill soon have my money back and will be ready to buy some new cards (they overheated as the fan speed was locked at 23%)! I was originally looking at another two 3870s, however LOADS of these cards need the fan speeds tweaking so they dont overheat (a problem on crossfire as Riva doesnt work and bios flash is risky), the only brands ive actually had confirmed to me that work fine are Sapphire and PowerColor. I was also considering the BFG 8800GTX OC as that also looks good and that or another 2 3870s will be about £300.

But on another thread someone told me to wait till monday for a 3870X2 (i thought they were released on thursday...). So i started looking on google for a place to pre-order one and cant find anywhere in the UK!

Anyone know where i could get one?

Thanks.

Paul87

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
they are not out till monday. Some place such as scan.co.uk have had them listed although they were quickly taken down from the looks of it they will be around £300 for the standard and £330 for an OC version which was shown on scan.

Monday more or less every decent site should be selling them. Also heard that low stock shouldnt be an issue

There were 2 sites that had them posted for sale. One was ewiz. They wanted $459 for it. A lot of money til I found the second site. Don't remember which it was but they wanted $505 for it. A day later the postings were gone.
The egg, hopefully, won't gouge us too bad....... It's truely only worth $350 IMO.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Well the price in England is £300 for a standard from everywhere ive read about them, which is incredible value considering it can beat an Ultra in some cases! But taking into account that its basically two 3870s its the price you'de expect as a 3870 is around £150 each.

Paul87

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
yea haydox and the advatage is that you only use 1 PCI-E slot in the process. And as this is ATI's first venture into the very high end market for a while they might give decent support.

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I was thinking that if i did get one, eventually i could get a second as my board is a P5E and so is crossfire capable. I would have 4 GPUs! :D

Ive just got to hope that OCUK give me a refund for my broken Triplex cards as it was their fault for having the fan set at 23% constantly!

Well its early days yet im not one to leap in to a purchase without seeing some benchies/reviews after the card is released. This exert from a review does have me a bit worried though.
"Our testing occurred in an office adjacent to one of the main railroad arteries in southern California, and it was not uncommon that the sound of the passing trains were drowned out by the X2’s fan when under a full graphics load. Not exaggerating"
Ear defenders anyone ? Can this really be true and if so lets hope it retails with a differant cooler. :)
Mactronix

Paul87

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
ive seen some reviews where they have said its no louder than a 3870 as it uses a similar designed cooler they had db tests to prove it, it might of been the tomshardware.tw review

haydox

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Yeh, that is a good price. My RMA was finished this morning and i got my refund so ill look around for a 3870X2 or a nice 8800GTX!