Toshibia 36SW9UA (HD) But what HD Settop Box to go with it..

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 15, 2005 12:35:54 PM

Toshibia 36SW9UA (HD) But what HD Settop Box to go with it ???

The TV is fully 720 and 1080i.

So what HD Box is the best value for money these days. Iam not going
to put off buying the box for very much longer. Will probably buy it
withina week so i need some suggestions.

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:35:55 PM

"Jill haoulder" <43434.com.au> wrote in message

> Toshibia 36SW9UA (HD) But what HD Settop Box to go with it ???
>

> The TV is fully 720 and 1080i.
>
> So what HD Box is the best value for money these days. Iam not going
> to put off buying the box for very much longer. Will probably buy it
> withina week so i need some suggestions.
>

> Thanks.

What does "fully 720 and 1080i mean?

Leonard
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:02:54 AM

After hooking up a plasma tv to an directv hd receiver, I am left with the
impression that we are in the wild wild west of HDTV. Standards are not
firmed up. Duplicate functionality exists in both the TV and the box.

Do you need a cable box, satellite box???? If a cable box, what does your
cable company require?
If satellite, you need to go with either Directv or Dish.
To get over the air HDTV, you need just a NSTC (analog) and a ASTC (HD over
the air) tuner. Some of the cable boxes and/or satellite boxes include over
the air (OTA) tuners (my Directv HD reciever included both ASTC and NSTC OTA
tuners.)

Look at the features in the box.. You probably want the ability to change
aspect ratio in the box (16:9, 4:3, wide, full, zoom, etc.) The aspect
flexibility both in the box and on the TV allows you to set up the screen to
avoid blank bars which is bad for plasma.
You probably want the ability in the box to output at a certain setting:
480i, 720p, or 1080i. (How does your TV work, does it automatically detect
the incoming signal and change it automatically?

Hope it helps
noone

"Jill haoulder" <43434.com.au> wrote in message

> Toshibia 36SW9UA (HD) But what HD Settop Box to go with it ???
>

> The TV is fully 720 and 1080i.
>
> So what HD Box is the best value for money these days. Iam not going
> to put off buying the box for very much longer. Will probably buy it
> withina week so i need some suggestions.
>

> Thanks.
June 16, 2005 6:10:09 AM

UMM it does 720p and 1080i. High Defination man HD man :)

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:22:46 -0400, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>
wrote:

>"Jill haoulder" <43434.com.au> wrote in message
>>

>> Toshibia 36SW9UA (HD) But what HD Settop Box to go with it ???
>>

>> The TV is fully 720 and 1080i.
>>
>> So what HD Box is the best value for money these days. Iam not going
>> to put off buying the box for very much longer. Will probably buy it
>> withina week so i need some suggestions.
>>

>> Thanks.
>
>What does "fully 720 and 1080i mean?
>
>Leonard

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 4:44:25 AM

Yo gave me MORE QUESTIONS MAN. Your a BAD BAD boy :)

Going to get a Teac HD box. Everyone syas its good value for money.
Dont have cable, paytv or whatever and dont want it.

The HD is just free the air over the airwaves.

And in Australia we only got 1080i HD. And 576p SD reslolution.

!