WindowsTemp Files?

Hi:

Is it safe to delete all the Windows\Temp files and if so, what are the
advantages/disadvantages of doing so?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about windowstemp files

    In news:u3nErmfkFHA.2152@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    ColTom2 <noemailaddress@none.com> typed:

    > Is it safe to delete all the Windows\Temp files and if so,
    > what are
    > the advantages/disadvantages of doing so?

    Yes, they can, and should be, deleted periodically. The temp
    folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create
    temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program
    should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for
    various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example, if the
    program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a
    good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

    Also note that there are some program installations which work in
    two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files
    and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after
    rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

    Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would
    interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's
    always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because
    it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use by
    an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open
    files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail
    to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted
    automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them
    the next time you delete manually.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Microsoft Windows XP