Your question

can I upgrade my Pentium D 930

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2008 6:09:13 AM

I know I cannot upgrade to C2D but can I upgrade to a pentium dual core?
I have intel i945p mobo. Any ideas would be helpful.
Its this series CPU.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX19918(ME).aspx

More about : upgrade pentium 930

February 3, 2008 7:22:11 AM

Isn't the Pentium D dual core anyways? The one you want to upgrade to is named Pentium, but in reality based on Core 2 architecture. I would recommend a save up your money until Nehalem theory.
February 3, 2008 7:27:20 AM

Yes it is but they are cheap, the pentium dual cores, and I see on benches they are faster. I do not want a all new computer, I am asking about upgrading the one I have. 100 bucks will not make a difference when I upgrade to new comp, please read the question before you post answer that means nothing.
Related resources
February 3, 2008 7:46:57 AM

It doesn't mean nothing.

You asked to upgrade to a Pentium Dual Core. You said you have a Pentium D 930. You already have a dual core.

You also said you cannot upgrade to Core 2 Duo. The E2180, although being called Pentium, is based on Core 2 Duo architecture. Thus, any technical problems you may have with upgrading to a mainstream Core 2 Duo will also be had with the E2180. If the inability to upgrade to Core 2 Duo is merely a matter of cost, then go ahead and the get the one you want. A good overclock will make you happy for at least two years.

However, I just went and looked at the 945P chipet. According to Intel's website, it does support Core 2 Duos. Therefore, you should buy the one you have linked to. It will trash your old dual-core.
February 3, 2008 8:03:10 AM

sorry, tired and frustrated. I only support 800 mhz fsb I believe on my mobo, that is why I was unsure of the pentium dual core, was not sure if it was based on c2d arcitecture, or if there was other fators involved
February 3, 2008 8:37:52 AM

The one you wish to upgrade to is an 800 FSB processor. I would recommend going for it now. Make sure you overclock to get more out of it.