ASUS AI Life M2N32-SLI - Psu 20 pin / 24 pin

replicant69

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Hi all, need some help please.

I have just purchased an ASUS AI Life M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition Retail, with it an AMD 5000+ black edition for overclocking (budget was tight). :)

My question however relates to my PSU in a round about way. Call me a bit naive but its been a good 2 years since I last built a system and I always knew the connectors to be a 20 pin. The new board is 24 pin so im bit peeved to be honest as my PSU isnt that old, its a 600watt and wasnt overly cheap. I have checked around and can see you can get these 20 to 24 pin adaptors, BUT I have seen reviews stating they are good and others stating bad. Some say its fine to use for a short period as a "quick fix while another is on order" some say its ok regardless and others say the board will not run properly or you could damage the board?

Anyone know if this will be ok to use on this board for now? I dont want to go blowing my new equipment up!
Its only going to be for a week until I begrudgingly have to order a new 24 pin psu, but to be without a pc for that long will be a killer!

lesterf1020

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I had this issue a year ago. If you have a good power supply you should be fine. The extra 4 pins are used to provide extra power to the pci-e cards. If your power supply is good or you already need a power plug for your video card it will be OK. Just remember to get a 24 pin powersupply the next time you are buying one. The 20 to 24 pin adapters tend to cause more problems thatn they solve.

replicant69

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
The upgrade has highlighted a few bits n pieces to be honest, for example I cant even use my Gainward graphics card as this motherboard doesnt have the right pci slot for it so another item I need to replace and another £140 down the drain so to speak! lol.......

As a result, I'll only be using the onboard graphics controller and no other equipment really at this time - I'll purchase an adaptor to keep me going for a week.

Thanks for confirming, appreciated!!