Computer shuts down right after being turned on

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, all!

I'm asking here because I couldn't get an answer after searching online.

The machine I'm running is listed below. I've had it for a few months, and today, when I tried turning it on, it would shut off within a second or two of turning it on. No POST, no nothing. I tried unplugging the PS, because I read online that that sometimes solves similar problems people were having, but no luck. Before anyone asks, I installed an HD 3850 a few weeks ago, and that's the only hardware change.

I think it could be the BIOS, but I've never had problems when I upgraded it when I built the machine.

Any suggestions would be great! :D

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just did some testing, and now I think the problem might be the PS. Unfortunately, I don't have one laying around to test with, so I'll have to wait until next paycheck. :fou:

cowspoo

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Hey bdcrlsn. Okay, on the front of your desktop you have a power light and a cpu usage light that clickers when the cpu is in use. Okay. so the issue is you press the power button and THREE seconds later it goes off. I bet it's a ram error. Its a sure bet if the power light blinks while its on. Id do a bench test ( put the computer together without the case, only psu-mb-cpu-one ram) see if it posts, try a different ram stick only put on in at a time.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My name is not Dan, but I am from IL. :D

Tried the RAM sticks, swapping them out and trying in different slots, but no go.

The LED's (power and HDD) on the front both light up when I press the power button, and all the fans and hard drive spin up, but it immediately shuts back down.

I thought that it could be a shorted power button, but I tested the "touch screwdriver to contacts" trick and it did the same thing, so that isn't it.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006

What motherboard are you using? Try clearing the bios out. Remove the battery, short the CMOS clear for a good minute or so, reinstall the battery, and try to power up. It could also be a PS problem. Try disconnecting the PS from EVERYTHING, short pins 4-6 together on you main MB connector and verify your voltages with a multimeter.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My mobo is listed in my signature. I will try the BIOS reset and see if that fixes it.

Edit: Okay, I cleared the CMOS and that did not solve the problem, which probably means that it is the PS.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006

Oops, sorry about that, I didn't even see your sig. Try testing the PS the way I mentioned before. As long as pins 4 & 6 are shorted, it should remain on and output all voltages.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, while I was sleeping, I had an idea, so I went up to the attic and got my old 650i motherboard and Core2 E6400 CPU and put them in the computer with all my old components, and wa-la! It started right up, no problems. So, that means it was most likely the motherboard or CPU causing the problem.

Thanks to everyone who responded! :hello:

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I'm having the exact same problem. I press the power button and it turns on just long enough for the fans to light up and spin around once (like half a second) and then shuts down. If I try that again it doesnt do anything until I unplug from PSU and then replug and hit the power button again.

So far I've inspected all the power cables, taken out all memory except one stick (need to check them all now that I think about it) and that's it.

I will try shorting pins 4 and 6 together on the PSU by itself to turn the PSU on but then what voltages am I looking for on the main connector? What pins should I check voltages on and what should those voltages be? I'm thinking if it even turns on that it will be good but would like to check voltages on it just to be sure it's going to work in future. Unfortunatley I have no other mobo and cpu to bench check with.

I took battery out of mobo and put back in after a minute. I didnt try to clear cmos. I will try that when I get a chance tonight.

I know things have been said already on this post but what else can I do to verify that it's the mobo that is fried or cpu?

diaz9220

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I have the same problem. I have a video on youtube as to what happens and a thread on here with the link.
I dont know how to do the screw driver trick or how to clears the cmos. can someone explain please. Thanks!

gaborbarla

Distinguished
I solved the flashing green led problem by swapping my screws to smaller screws to secure the motherboard.
The larger screws were touch the electronics on the asus motherboard.

G

halp.. Today i turned on my computer, and the fans began to run. Then a couple of seconds later it shut down. RESTARTING. so that means im on the same computer that just did that? im a bit worried... I know its a little off topic, and sorry for doing it here but i just dunno how to make my own thread or w/e its called. Im really in a need of help, cause i cant stop thinking that i broke my computer allready.. 2000$ and i've only had it for a weeek :(

boon_pek

Mar 5, 2010
Hey,

Remove the bold text, if you don't mind. You can create a thread by clicking the "Ask the Community" button on the top right of the site.

What are your system specs, it may help other people solve your issue. Have you read this sticky? If not then read it, it could be helpful.