Deleted user account, lost everything in My Documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

avandenburgh

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I was having trouble with my user account in XP, so I created a new one. I deleted the old one, and a window popped up that gave me the option to save all of that user's files to a desktop folder (named after the deleted user account) on the new user account' Desktop, so I chose that option. The file never appeared and now I can't find any of the files!! I've searched for specific file names and I haven't come up with anything. I still have my music and some files I don't even care about because they were saved in C in the Owner's Documents folder...but my pictures were all saved in the USER'S Documents folder. Can I restore the whole user account?? Can I at least recover the folders? Can I possibly do this for free? Please help!!

gorlosky1

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
You can Restore the files IF you made a Backup, OR there was a System Restore saved somewhere.

Who's account are you logged in under when you search for the files ? Try that thinking (might help).

avandenburgh

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I was in the new account that I created. It's the only one available to log into. The other one is deleted. I didn't make a backup and I don't even know how to do a system restore...so I'm guessing I didn't. lol I know people like me (who don't know much about computers) must drive you all crazy. Sorry! I know whatever I did was stupid (NOW!), but I really need help fixing it.

Have a look in the Recycle Bin which has an icon on the Desktop - there's a chance the files may be there. System Restore is in the Start>All Programmes>Accessories>System Tools menu and you can try to go back a few days in time to a point where the files may still be recoverable. If that fails, go to http://www.piriform.com and download Recuva to see what that can get back for you.[/#00005ff]

avandenburgh

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010

I looked in the recycle bin and nothing is there. Is the system restore safe? It won't mess something else up?

Status
Not open for further replies.