Questions on my build - need it done asap

mtlboy

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Well since my old pc just died and I hate my laptop I need to build something quick. I have a couple of questions and need some advice from you guys. I am going to build it either at microbytes.com or ncix.com, so whatever they have is what I'll get. If someone can help, I want a QX6600. Not sure on the mobo/ram/heatsink/psu/gfx card, and I'll just get a 500gb seagate hd. Also I want a nice clean mid tower case. Something that has good access to hardrives and is setup good for wiring, not having things jammed against each other.

Just a question, I know the mobo depends on if I want an 3870 or a nvidia card. I can't use a x38 card with nvidia? I want to be able to throw in a new quad code chip when the faster ones come down in price so that's why I want a x38 board. My budget is 2k, without a monitor. I don't want to go cheap, or crazy expensive, just higher than average stuff. So the most important stuff is picking between a 3870 or 8800gts I think, I watch movies (output to my tv) and games. So I would need something good for both. I don't know how to overclock although I wish you could just pay ncix a bit extra and they could do it for you. Anyways if someone can help me quick, I need to order this week. Thanks guys

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
The question on the motherboard is do you want to do SLI or crossfire. If you don't the MB can run either video card. If you want to do SLI, then you need a Nvidia chipset. Intel chipsets (X38) are crossfire but will work just fine with 1 Nvidia GPU. Others will have their own opinion, but unless you're using a huge monitor at high resolutions a single 8800gt will be fine.
It really doesn't sound to me like you need a Quad, if the price is not an object, then get one. There several places you can find out about overclocking, if you'e NOT going to, the stock heatsink will probably be fine.

mtlboy

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I just want 1 video card for now, but I really only watch movies/games. So would the 8800gt be better than the 3870? I know new gpus are coming out in 90 days, but any x38 can do 1 nvidia or 1 ati? it's just if you want to do 2 or more you need to pick sli or crossfire..ok that's good to know. Can you help me out with the rest of the build please.

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I take it you are in Canada? If you go with X38 the I would go with the ATI card, that way if ever do want to go crossfire, you'll only need one card. You can run one card, either make that is correct. Are you sure on the X38? You haven't mentioned a budget and other that the crossfire a P35 will perform just as well and some of the X38 take DDR3 ram which is not worth the xrta cost ...yet.
Are you buying a prebuilt or components and doing the build yourself?

mtlboy

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
My budget is 2k canadian. The reason I want the x38 is I hear it's compatible with the new processors coming out. Unless the 8800gts will last me like at least 1 year. But I would take a x38 with ddr2 for now. I will build it on NCIX, or from microbytes, just pick the parts and they will assemble it. I can't overclock, so, unless I can get someone here locally to do it for me.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
If you are building now and getting a Q6600, do not worry about Penryn support. Some Penryn will be better, but not amazingly so.

You likely will want to just stick with the Q6600 until late Q4 when the Nehalm comes out which is a true next gen CPU from Intel.

If you are not looking at SLI/CF, I would just go with something simple like a Gigabyte DS3-R which is not terribly expensive, but has nice chipset cooling for a decent OC.

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Most P35 boards are also compatible with the new CPU'S. May have to flash the bios, up you might have to do that to a X38 too. You just need to find boards that support the 45n processors. Overclocking is not hard and if you do have problems you can reset your bios and start over as long as you don't get crazy with voltages and fry something. Just google overclocking, there's all kind of articles on how do this and you get a FREE boost in performance. There may even be an article here at tom's, go to the homepage and do a search..