Sign in with
Your question

need advise on OS with new/old sytem build

Last response: in Systems
January 20, 2008 7:24:44 PM

i think i have to buy a new OS.. my mom and my best friend both have an XP sp2 disk. can i use it? also here is my system:

the new stuff...
the case and PSU maybe a little heavy. just leaving headroom for future upgrades.

case Antec 900
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

PSU OCZ gameXtreme 700w
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

PHILIPS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner 2-Tone SATA Model SPD2513BD - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

the old stuff...
Mobo EVGA socket 939 SLi, Cpu 4600+ X2, Ram (2 gig DDR PC 3200), video card 7900 GT from jjblanche here on tomshardware forum.

are there any suggestions or comments on the build?
I also need advise on an OS if i can't use the XP discs.

it will primarily be a gaming rig and internest browser. cd burning etc..

More about : advise sytem build

January 20, 2008 8:30:57 PM

Do you not have XP? If you don't, then you have to buy your own copy. You cannot use your friends or your mothers copies of XP. First, it will not activate on your PC if it has already been installed and activated on another computer. Second, it is simply illegal.
January 20, 2008 9:39:29 PM

OT: I just noticed that you are from Kalama! I'm from Vancouver.
Related resources
January 20, 2008 9:43:32 PM

thank you for the responses. i thought that was the case. also what OS should i get. XP or vista and what version? can i buy one copy and use it on 2 of my computers?

yes i have XP on my compaq but no disc.
January 20, 2008 11:05:33 PM

To my knowledge, you ARE able to use a copy of Windows on two computers as long as YOU are the one using them...HOWEVER. It is always best to just simply call the customer service number on your disk and ask them. That way your in the clear legally. From the advice from some very informed and knowledgeable people. If you are gaming with your pc its usually best to get XP. That is what I am doing with my new build. **If anyone else finds my info to be inaccurate or false please feel free to correct me**
January 20, 2008 11:09:19 PM

hemir1 said:
thank you for the responses. i thought that was the case. also what OS should i get. XP or vista and what version? can i buy one copy and use it on 2 of my computers?

yes i have XP on my compaq but no disc.

XP vs Vista is not really easy to answer. Its depends of your needs. With a new computer, I would say Vista 64. It's what I have with 4GB. Work great and my games work fine too.

You cannot install one key on two computers because of activation. Not legal too.

You Compaq XP license is probably OEM so it means tight to your computer and cannot be transfered to a new one like retail version of XP/Vista.
January 20, 2008 11:45:49 PM

You can only put an os(either XP or Vista) on one pc at a time. Anythig else is illegal. The 25? character license key must be unique to a pc, and that is mostly defined by the mobo. If you have the old key for the pc that no longer exists, borrow the friends cd, but enter your own key. Microsoft will fail the activation, and invite you to call them. Explain that the mobo failed or whatever the reason is that the old pc no longer works. They will want to know if that copy(key) is in use on any other pc. Tell them it is not and they will activate it.

As to XP vs vista, I see no reason to invest in xp which is on the way out. Microsoft has little incentive in spending any more money on xp vs vista. For vista, go to their web site and look at a comparison of features. Most users will be happy with home premium.

@bugspin23: No you can't. Only one os per pc, regardless of ownership.
January 22, 2008 12:34:49 AM

which version of vista is the right one to get?

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM $111.49
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM $109.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i think that these are the best choices for me. can someone tell me if i should get the 64 bit or not and if my system is compatible with it?

What is the diff. between vista upgrade, OEM, and retail?

January 22, 2008 1:13:55 AM

First, you legally can't install any Windows OS on more than machine. Second, the CD for your Compaq will only work on that Compaq. It's basically a image of the hard drive saved on disc. It contains the OS, the drivers, and all the other software for that machine and that machine alone. Third, forget getting the upgrade for any OS considering you don't have a legal copy to begin with. The difference between the three:

Upgrade: takes a previous version to the newest version. An XP upgrade takes Windows 98 and makes into XP. Overall, not a good idea for a brand new build because it will traces of the original OS behind which can lead to stability problems. Also, if you ever lose the original OS' install disc, the upgrade becomes pointless.

Retail: what you will find at any store. Comes with support.

OEM: Just the CD and the CD key. NO support.
January 22, 2008 1:21:00 AM

hemir1 said:
which version of vista is the right one to get?
Neither. Stick with XP Pro. Vista adds nothing except higher hardware requirements. DX10 is a DUD. No applications require Vista. The primary "improvements" in Vista are DRM and activation requirements, neither of which are good for the end user.
January 22, 2008 10:57:10 PM

okay XP pro OEM or retail 32 bit or 64 bit?...what about games that are DX10 and say that they require vista?
January 22, 2008 11:31:51 PM

Quote:
First, you legally can't install any Windows OS on more than machine.

Quote:
You can only put an os(either XP or Vista) on one pc at a time. Anythig else is illegal.

Quote:
You cannot install one key on two computers because of activation. Not legal too.

Quote:
Do you not have XP? If you don't, then you have to buy your own copy. You cannot use your friends or your mothers copies of XP.

Have you figured it out yet??????

Otherwise:
http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Window...

January 22, 2008 11:49:29 PM

that was resolved powerdog. thankyou...the thread has moved beyond that question.
January 23, 2008 12:03:42 AM

hemir1 said:
okay XP pro OEM or retail 32 bit or 64 bit?...what about games that are DX10 and say that they require vista?

XP Pro 64 bit is likely what you want. 64 bit allows you to add more than 3GB of RAM. Since RAM is very very cheap these days, having 4 or 8 GB of RAM is something you may want. Most games are currently written for 32 bit operating systems but generally run just fine on 64 bit operating systems (there was a game several years ago that didn't, but it was fixed). All modern CPUs such as the core 2 duos/quads are 64 bit CPUs. Having a 64 bit OS means when the game programmers start writing games that can take advantage of them you will be ready.

Vista is a system resource hog and will slow your game down. DX10 looks very nice, better than DX9. I've not met a DX10 game yet that won't play in DX9. Game designers don't want to lose that huge base of XP gamers. There is a group of hackers that have successfully gotten DX10 to work in XP but they have not shared their feat with the general public for fear that a windows update will kill their work.

Some folks believe Vista is the wave of the future. MS has put a lot of money behind it. But there have been a lot of problems with Vista since its release, and 2007 has seen a fair number of folks revert back from Vista to XP, and MS was forced to reverse their stance on discontinuing XP sales at the end of 2007 and discontinuing service packs and so forth, as evidenced by the SP3 that is in the works. I'm not going to adopt Vista now as I do not like the digital rights management that is built into it.

If one day I have to scrap XP I believe I will learn Linux Ubuntu before installing Vista. The only thing I can think of is that one day in a board room at microsoft, they said "let's make a list of things that will add nothing to an operating system but will annoy, insult, or restrict the customer" and they named it Vista.
January 23, 2008 12:11:29 AM

Also if MS keeps with their New 3 year development strategy according to it we should see a New OS in a year or 2

http://www.windowsvienna.com/

Which is supposed to be a cut down less resource hogging. but it's MS so i'll believe it when i see it, but for now with SP3 coming out for xp Grab xp pro x64 best choice at the moment.
January 23, 2008 1:00:25 AM

will my processor be okay with 64 bit OS? i think so but need confirmation. thanks hamradio and psychofanatic
January 23, 2008 1:03:06 AM

Yes its tough to find a non-x64 processor honestly.
January 23, 2008 1:08:18 AM

the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ is a 64 bit processor.
January 23, 2008 1:11:07 AM

thankyou all i am all good now
January 23, 2008 1:42:58 AM

hemir1 said:

I'll add my vote to the others that suggested XP Pro 64 bit. It gives you all the good things that XP Pro 32 bit has and adds the use of 4 gig or more of ram. Plus its a bit faster. After I bought XP 64 bit, I never had interest in buying a 32 bit version again.
January 23, 2008 3:08:42 AM

Don't rush into a 64-bit OS unless you have an application that needs it. XP 32 bit can recognize up to 4GB, though not all of it will be available (I'm showing 3.5). There is a lot of software, especially utilities and drivers, that are not 64-bit compatible.
January 23, 2008 7:24:31 AM

nhobo said:
Don't rush into a 64-bit OS unless you have an application that needs it. XP 32 bit can recognize up to 4GB, though not all of it will be available (I'm showing 3.5). There is a lot of software, especially utilities and drivers, that are not 64-bit compatible.

I would say that was the case in the past, but with Vista being out for a year now, everything that I use has a 64 bit driver available for it. As time goes on, what few things don't presently have 64 bit drivers will have.
January 23, 2008 12:07:16 PM

i have already ordered xp pro 64 bit. so if i have probs i'll just have to deal with it and figure it out. tomshardware forums is a good resource so i think i'll be fine. also, i'll be upgrading my mobo, processor, ram, after a year or so. when i do that, i suppose i'll have to reinstall the OS, is this true?
January 23, 2008 12:40:27 PM

If I was buying a new retail OS right now, I would get XP 64bit. Vista is just not there yet. Maybe in another year, but not right now. I don't like being a tester for a new OS. I always wait until it's been around for a couple of years before I make the plunge. I think you made a good choice.
January 23, 2008 12:42:17 PM

dmroeder said:
OT: I just noticed that you are from Kalama! I'm from Vancouver.

Gotta love the Pacific Northwest!
January 23, 2008 1:02:28 PM

hemir1 said:
i'll be upgrading my mobo, processor, ram, after a year or so. when i do that, i suppose i'll have to reinstall the OS, is this true?
CLICK HERE. <- that google link has several good sites that explain how to do it without reinstalling.
January 23, 2008 3:33:09 PM

hemir1 said:
i have already ordered xp pro 64 bit. so if i have probs i'll just have to deal with it and figure it out. tomshardware forums is a good resource so i think i'll be fine. also, i'll be upgrading my mobo, processor, ram, after a year or so. when i do that, i suppose i'll have to reinstall the OS, is this true?

I've changed mobos, cpus, ram and such for years and never had to reinstall the OS. Just be sure to uninstall all the old drivers on the mobo. Since the ram and cpu don't use drivers, just stick them in and go.
January 25, 2008 12:51:35 AM

so no DX10 games in XP?
January 25, 2008 1:03:09 AM

hemir1 said:
so no DX10 games in XP?

You can play the DX10 games in XP, but you'll only get the DX9 features.
January 26, 2008 12:53:36 AM

so a dual boot with vista a good idea? i've heard of people doing that too.
January 26, 2008 1:04:18 AM

Some people dual boot after making a separate partition for the Vista. I used a different method, installing Vista on a separate hard disk and then switching power between the hard drives, depending on which OS I wanted to use. Its more work, but less opportunity for making mistakes.
January 27, 2008 2:45:31 PM

okay i have an extra 30gb hdd that i can use for that. will vista basic get the job done for DX10 or is it too "basic"?
January 27, 2008 2:48:35 PM

Vista basic is too "basic". My daughter in law got it on her laptop and she hates it. I'd recomend Vista Premium.
January 27, 2008 2:52:16 PM

it would be used for gaming only. vista basic does or doesn't support DX10?
January 27, 2008 2:59:06 PM

I think it does support DX10, though my daughter in law hasn't tried a DX10 game on hers. But its so basic that you can't do much of anything at all with it. She wants me to install XP on it, but we might do an upgrade to Premium or Business first. You should probably go to the Microsoft.com site and look at the differences of the various Vista versions. XP had three different versions, including XP64 Pro, but Vista has five main versions, with a couple sub-versions as well. M$ did not one any favors when it made all these versions.
January 27, 2008 3:16:31 PM

i have ordered xp64 pro but i am thinking i will want dx10 graphics. do i have to have vista to get it or are they not that great anyway?
January 27, 2008 3:26:11 PM

I have XP64 Pro myself, but it doesn't run DX10. You have to get Vista to get DX10. I have a private hope that M$ will give in and design a new DX, DX11 if you want, that will work on XP or at least XP64 Pro, but I have my doubts that will happen. M$ wants to kill XP, not give it support. For now, at least, there are only a few games that are out which will support DX10 and they will still run on DX9. For that matter, they run faster with DX9 than with DX10. They just don't have quite as much detail.
!