Water cooling. first attempt. temp question.

fiftypence

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hi all,

I've just installed a Reserator XT and so far no major problems. Spec of machine is:

TJ09 case
E8500 not overclocked (yet!)
4Gb Corshair memory
2 x 8800GTX SLI's overclocked and very happy.

Here's my question which relates to temperature.

Currently my 8800GTX: idle = 52 and 51 degrees each. Load = 61 and 59 degrees.
CPU: idle = 48 degrees and Load = 56 degrees.

Ambient temperature according to he Reserator is 30 degrees.

I've kept the case fans in the TJ09 as I'm currently not water cooling the NB or the memory, just the CPU and the 8800gtx's.

These temps seem kind of high? Any thoughts or suggestions? It may be that it's just damn hot here today for a change and that's having an affect.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joel

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
The CPU and the 8800GTX's are heating up the water in the circuit. That's why your idle temps are quite hot. But the beauty of water is that it will take alot of heat, without increasing much in temp. Therefore your load temps will not be that much higher then your idle.

Adding fans inside the case will not do much at all.

I've been water cooling for about 5 years now. What I did was I made a giant 10 liter reservoir out of a plastic container. I silicone sealed it to minimize evaporation. It saved me alot of money versus getting a expensive reservoir, and is much cooler since it holds so much water. Heck, you could make a 20-40 liter one if you wanted too. It would be pretty cheap to make. The only drawback is that it's not that easy to transport.

fiftypence

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Thanks for the swift reply and advice.

Do you think those temperatures I quoted are adequate given the ambient temperature?. I thought my CPU speed should be firmly in the 30's given the set up.

Also, I've kept the fans in to cool the NB and the RAM. Do you think this is necessary? I could obviously purchase a water cooling unit for both of these which will probably be the next step, but I figured the fans would help them for the moment.

Again, many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Joel