cmstricker

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Can anyone clue me in? for some reason my cd/dvd rw doesn't read blank dvr's. I have an Dell XPS 6oo running Windows XP. I recently had to re-install the operating system due to a slew of issues. Then I had to download audio and video drivers from Nvidia. This fixed all the problems with my system except my burner does not recognize blank cd and dvd media. It reads music and video fine. It just doesn't acknowledge blank recordable media.
I've gone and un-installed then re-installed the primary and secondary sections although on restart the system then recognizes the rom and burner it hasn't solved my problem.

Can anyone help?Sincerely, c.m. stricker

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
are you saying when you put a blank cdr in the drive it doesnt recognise there is a disc in the tray? as its blank there wouldnt be anything for it to see.

did it used to autoplay and load your burning software? and this no longer happens? try dragging and dropping a file into the drive and try using the windows burning software to copy that file to the disc.

have you tried using a trial version of nero or another software to burn discs? and what happened? did it error and say there was no disc in the drive?