adetuc

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Hi Guys,

I have a desktop PC connected to the Internet via a Lan card (I have to keep a static IP address on this card of 192.168.42.124), in this machine is also a wireless network card.

I have a wireless laptop that I would like to connect to my destop PC to use its Internet connection.

Both machines use Vista.

I am new to wireless and was always confused as to which of my two network cards, in my desktop, I should use ICS on...

How do I set the machines up so the laptop can use internet via the desktop machine?

I guess I setup the laptop to obtain its IP address automatically...
and I guess I set the wireless card in the desktop to use ICS ? or do I configure the LAN card in the desktop machine to use ICS?

Thanks for your help

Adrian

G

If you have a router, quit using ICS which seems unreliable and wastes energy because it involves having the 'host' machine running whenever you want to use the client machine.

Link both machines to router independently, by wireless or ethernet.

G

You may be able to establish an ad hoc connection between two wireless computers and use this to share the internet connection.

Personally I would not bother as wireless routers are pretty cheap -- in fact, secondhand ex-ISP models can be picked up for nothing when people move house, or next to nothing in flea markets, garage sales.