8800gt - no signal to monitor - worked fine yesterday

Rimsta

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Hi guys,

I built a new rig which worked fine for a couple of days, then I put some more fans in my case, put the mobo and everything else back in the case..and now it won't boot properly.

Everything seems to start (case fans/DVD/gpu fans, etc) but I do not get any signal to my monitor (tried 2 different monitors).
I tried clearing the cmos multiple times by shorting the pins, removing the battery, etc
Even tried to remove everything and to make it boot with the mobo outside the case, with only the power supply, 1 memory stick and the graphic card connected to it ... no success...

I'm thinking there might be something wrong with either my motherboard or my vid card ... even though it was working perfectly just before I put the fans !!!

Here's my rig :

Case : Coolermaster CM 690 Mid Tower Black ATX Case
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor
Memory : Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit
Vid Card: Palit GeForce 8800GT Sonic 650MHZ 512MB 1.9GHZ DDR3 PCI-E 2XDVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card
Power supply : Corsair VX550W 550W ATX 12V 41A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ATX LGA775 P35 1333FSB 1PCI-E16
HD : Western Digital SE16 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Heatsink : Noctua NH-U12P LGA775 AM2 Heatsink Heatpipe Cooler W/ NF-S12P 120MM Fan -12.6-19.8DBA

Any ideas ?

I'll prolly have to get my vid card verified at some computer store tomorrow ... and I don't have another pci-e card to test in my current rig.
Thanks !

akhilles

Splendid
The CM690 is designed in such a way that most parts don't have to be moved out of the case for fan installs. Except for mobo underside & top blowhole fans.

Double-check your connections & any jumpers. Bring the whole pc to the store if no luck.

Rimsta

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Because of my heatsink I had no choice to remove the mobo out of the case to install the top fan which is above the CPU.

I already checked all my connections (I dismounted everything and built it back outside the case) and no luck :(

I bought all the parts from an online store .. I might have to RMA something but I'm not even sure of what piece is not working.

I'm gonna have another vid card tested in my system today and I'll test my current 8800GT in another PC to find out.

Thanks !

capaill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Hi Rimsta,
I built a new system a few weeks ago and put in a Palit 8800GT Sonic this weekend... after which my PC failed to boot in about 80% of attempts. I tried a few things that I found online (system BIOS updates, VGA cable instead of DVI) but in the end I increased my DRAM voltage from 1.8v to 2.0v and now it seems to boot ok.

Just one more thing for you to try!

There are numerous problems like ours online about the 8800GT, the most common of which is that the VIA chipset is incompatible with the 8800GT line of GPUs.

Rimsta

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Yeah I've seen many threads on online forums about 8800gt problems when booting up...

As for the ram voltage, I initially changed it too when I was able to boot and get into the BIOS since my ram needs more than 1.8v.

Now I can't even get in there since I don't see anything on screen :(

Resetting the defaults by clearing the CMOS doesn't help either.

Rimsta

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

That's what I did yesterday, the guy put another video card in it and it didn't boot, so it doesn't seem to be the graphic card.

Might be the motherboard or psu I guess..

The store should be calling me today to tell me what's defective.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
I get a kinda similar problem. Thing is I know for 100% its no bios issues, in fact like the OP i cannot even get onto that because it refuses to display anything on the monitor.

Just installed WC'ing I know it works though. It did this once before cant remember what I did to fix it though...

Im no new I know EXACTLY what im doing but this seems to be one of those problems that happens for seemingly no reason whatspever, I think to fix it last time i removed the sound card or something so I'm going to go try that again.