Stampeed Valkyrie

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Been working on a new system to replace my "old" beast.

Having a weird issue in regards to system stability and memtest86+. Original issue was random BSOD or reboots when installing XP SP2 from scratch, and then complete instability once OS was installed. Traced issue back to memory, or possibly an issue with the mainboard. DS3r rev 2.1 running F10 bios... Crucial Ballistix PC8500 (1066) 1GBX4 Dimms. All voltages set to 2.2v (stock) and timing set to default 5-5-5-15, board recognizes 1066 memory and shows correct memory amount. This is where the weirdness begins I can successfully test all 4 DIMMS in slot 1 using memtest running at 1066. The same can be said for slots 2 and 4. As soon as I attempt to fill slot 3 and run the memory at 1066 either in dual channel mode w/slot 1 or solo, just slot 3 Memtest gets about 40% pass then starts lighting up errors nonstop. This happens with any of the 4 DIMMS I have, so long as they are running at 1066. However this does not occur on any of the other slots (1,2,4). I tried running some GSkill PC6400 memory to confirm running at 800. Passed on all 4 slots including slot 3 no problem. So then I get to thinking how about I underclock my crucial memory and see what happens. Running at 800 all 4 slots pass no problem. Logically I start thinking bad DIMM slot on the mainboard.... i contacted crucial to see what they thought or if they had any "known" issues which turned out to be a waste of about an hour of my time. Then I contacted Gigabyte who immediately starting railing on crucial even after explaining the whole situation, regardless I just got an RMA for Gigabyte so to wrap things up WTF!?! anyone else have any suggestions. System is running stock except for currently underclocked memory.

And what is the deal with the audio drivers on this board? Seriously... you have to fight this tooth and nail just to get the driver installed.

Thanks for any help

Rob :sol:

biggin_prime

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
I am having a similar issue with the Crucial Ballistix PC6400 (800) DDR2. I have two of these boards (P35C-DS3R) and built both rigs at the same time (about 6 months ago). I started with 2GBs of the Crucial RAM and had no issues (even at stock volts) for 5 months.

Then, I decided to add 2 additional GBs per rig. I upped the voltage to 2.2v (+0.4), flashed the BIOS to F7 (recommended for 1GBx4) and it ran great for 2 weeks. Then, I started getting random BSOD and voltage errors. One board I had to RMA due to the constant 3 second reboot issue and the second one is giving me issues on a sporadic basis.

I dropped back down to 2GBs and it works for about a week, then gives me BSOD/Failures. I run Memtest86+ and find errors right away. Then, I remove 1 stick and test again @ 1GB...no problems. Insert stick #2, no problems. I've checked everything I could imagine.

Any thoughts?

Specs:
Q6600
P35C-DS3R (F7 BIOS, Originally F2)
Corsair HX620
Crucial Ballistix PC6400 Kit (1GB x 2)
WD Raptor 150GB
EVGA 8800GTS 512MB

Stampeed Valkyrie

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Update on this...

Gigabyte states that they have replaced a "chip" on the board and they have tested it without any issues. Now I just have to wait and see if the problem is resolved. However I highly doubt I will purchase another Gigabyte board at least not for my uses, this problem seems to be pretty common.

Rob :sol:

boumba

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Hi, I have same trouble, with 2x2GB 800MHz (Geil) mobo works without troubles on 667MHz, if frequency is 800 MHz, there are many errors in Memtest's 7th test. With 2x1GB in slots 2 and 4 mobo works without any troubles. Slots 1 + 3 doesn't works anyway.