Gigabyte Robust Graphics Booster??

Status
Not open for further replies.

warlord12345

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Hi all,

ive just been looking through my bios and found a robust graphics booster (i will call r.b.g from now) option which has a decription saying enhances VGA cards perfromance.

there are 3 options... auto, fast, turbo
so since i have great cooling on my 8800gt (thermaltake duorb - load = 48c) i decided to put it on turbo and try it out

but when i looked at GPU-Z there hasnt been a change in core clock or memory clock but on C:Source max settings on dust i went from 140-170fps to 180-240fps

does anyone know what it does? because this obviously an amazing otion in my opinion.

"...allows to increas the frequency of the chipset graphic core..."

Ummm, seems to me this applies to a board like my GA-G33M-DS2R, which has onboard graphics. I'm not using it, and you probably aren't either if you play games, so making that setting change either won't do anything or it will add heat.

binh

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Used to set it to Turbo to OC my 7600GT on 945P-DS3. It ran fine for a year before I upgraded to 8800GT and P35-DS3. Everest showed core and memory oc'd by 10% and 5% respectively. I read somewhere R.G.B is safely tweaked by Gigabyte engineers, so it's free to try.

warlord12345

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
hmm, binh when u set it to turbo did it show the oc on a programme like gpu-z, like was the core clock or memory clock higher... because on mine they are at default and when i run a game they seem mto stay at default (i havnt really found a good way to test), but my fps has increased in games

so tbh i have no idea xD .. any1 else?

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
I've also got a Gigabyte board with R.G.B. and it dose exactly what you've described, it OC's the mem and core frequency on the graphics card. In my case this doesn't result in much of a FPS boost, but then again I'm running a 7900GS so that's probably why. Hopefully with two 8800GT's that I'm getting next week I'll see some better results, but than again I probably wont need a boost then (;

And to answer an earlier question I do see the mem and core frequency increase in my monitoring programs.

warlord12345

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
but the thing is programmes arnt showing a overclock, can u actually see your overclock? like in a programme or do they say default settings but ur getting better performance? this is really confusing me xD

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
to see what happens during the game, run Rivatuner. ITs graphs will show you how respective frequencies changed. In fact, since I have a Gigabyte board, I'm gonna do that myself.

Results to follow.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
I can actually see my overclock, my mem and core are higher than default settings under auto if i set it to turbo, and i can see this all the time with monitoring programs weather in game or not.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
i use nVidia system monitor and some biostar app that came with the card, cant remember the name off hand, but nVidia system monitor i trust to give the correct frequencies.

mGuyA

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
With some additional googling I found this test showing improved game performance from PC Perspective.

And from FiringSquad
Tomas Lee, who is Marketing Manager for Gigabyte USA, explained that both of those features are actually overclocking options. He stated:
The Robust Graphics Booster will allow the chipset and GPU to synchronize together in maximizing the GPU Clock speed in order to enhance the graphics performance, kind of like NVIDIA LinkBoost Technology.

Medhat Elbakly

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
hi all i have GA-G41Mt-S2p built in vga and i change the robust setting to turbo then my northbridge always heat then dots started to appears and the PC freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.