Add/Remove Programs List won't populate

HollyC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Hello,
Read posts here on this problem. SFC SCANNOW did nothing that I can see. The Java suggestion does not seems applicable as I don't even have those entries given in my Registry. Have never had this problem before, and have no clue where else to look for a solution. Any guidance is much appreciated.

How much RAM do you have? After you double click on add/remove programs, open the task manager, give it a couple seconds after task manager opens, and see if the RAM and CPU usage are high. It may just be taking a long time.

If not....

Boot into safe mode with networking (F8 on startup). Download, install, and update malwarebytes. Do a full system scan.
www.malwarebytes.org/

Download ccleaner, and run the registry cleaner.
www.piriform.com/ccleaner

HollyC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
Thank you. Have recently done full scan with Malwarebytes, and will do again along with your registry cleaner. BTW, I am sorry; I've no idea why my post went up three times.

HollyC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010

Hi "aford10",

Thanks again for your help. I ran the Malwarebytes, full scan = NO infections of problems found.

Ran CClearner just once (didn't see your last message until I came back to tell you results) It came up with some innocuous-looking stuff, temp internet files and such, and I went ahead with the delete suggestion. Upon reboot, was able to open Add/Remove Programs and it populated readily as it usually does.

As for RAM, 2 GB, and unfortunately, I didn't do the CPU usage check you mentioned until after the other actions were taken, saw nothing out of the ordinary. But, as all looks to be in working order now, so again, whatever was bugged is somehow debugged, and I thank you!

Cheers, Holly

HollyC

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010

Yup, appears so! This is a terrific site . . . never got help so fast before. Thank you again.