access archive.pst file from old domain user profile

July 26, 2005 6:12:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Hello Everyone,
I have a user who had an xp pro pc joined to a 2003 domain . The machine
was removed from the domain and added to a peer to peer group properly. The
user originally use to log in to the domain profile and access her Outlook
email.We never manually backed up and exported her pst file from this domain
user account. I have since created a new local user account for the peer to
peer workgroup and transferred her my docs and favorites into it. Is there
a way for me to access and get a default archive.pst copy of her old outlook
contacts and emails from her original domain user profile? I thinking of
using windows explorer, but to not know the actual default outlook archive
path for this file. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Joe

More about : access archive pst file domain user profile

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:12:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.windows.server.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

You can import the *.pst

The default store for the *.pst file is;
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Joe" wrote:
| Hello Everyone,
| I have a user who had an xp pro pc joined to a 2003 domain . The machine
| was removed from the domain and added to a peer to peer group properly.
The
| user originally use to log in to the domain profile and access her Outlook
| email.We never manually backed up and exported her pst file from this
domain
| user account. I have since created a new local user account for the peer
| peer workgroup and transferred her my docs and favorites into it. Is
there
| a way for me to access and get a default archive.pst copy of her old
outlook
| contacts and emails from her original domain user profile? I thinking of
| using windows explorer, but to not know the actual default outlook archive
| path for this file. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
|
| Joe

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:12:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.outlook.general (More info?)

I believe that you've got to access the Security properties of this file and
take ownership of it before you can do anything with it.

"Joe" wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> I have a user who had an xp pro pc joined to a 2003 domain . The machine
> was removed from the domain and added to a peer to peer group properly. The
> user originally use to log in to the domain profile and access her Outlook
> email.We never manually backed up and exported her pst file from this domain
> user account. I have since created a new local user account for the peer to
> peer workgroup and transferred her my docs and favorites into it. Is there
> a way for me to access and get a default archive.pst copy of her old outlook
> contacts and emails from her original domain user profile? I thinking of
> using windows explorer, but to not know the actual default outlook archive
> path for this file. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Joe

July 26, 2005 7:26:09 PM

"Joe" <candulj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
> I have a user who had an xp pro pc joined to a 2003 domain . The machine
> was removed from the domain and added to a peer to peer group properly.
> The user originally use to log in to the domain profile and access her
> Outlook email.We never manually backed up and exported her pst file from
> this domain user account. I have since created a new local user account
> for the peer to peer workgroup and transferred her my docs and favorites
> into it. Is there a way for me to access and get a default archive.pst
> copy of her old outlook contacts and emails from her original domain user
> profile? I thinking of using windows explorer, but to not know the actual
> default outlook archive path for this file. Thank you in advance for any
> suggestions.
>
> Joe

Dave has responded with the pathname for the PST file. I am responding to
let you know that it will not be that easy if she was an Exchange Server
mail client while on the domain.

If you do not see what you expect in the PST file and there exists, in the
same location, an OST file. Let us know.

Good Luck,

Carl
December 8, 2009 9:34:02 PM

OK, so its an old thread. but its 2009 now I have had the exact experience as mention above.

Quote:
If you do not see what you expect in the PST file and there exists, in the
same location, an OST file. Let us know.

Ok so i DO have OST files where I expect to see the PST.
i have been looking a way to convert from ost to pst but haven't alot of luck.

December 8, 2009 9:37:15 PM

just posting to enable mail notification . sorry.
!