Installed hardware and BIOS Settings, next what...

Forester30

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
OK so this is the first time I have built a computer, so I'm a little stuck at this point. I have installed all hardware, changed a couple BIOS settings (date/time) and am now ready to partition the hard drives, but it is asking for a boot disk. If I'm installing Windows Vista do I just insert the Vista CD ROM, or do I need to make a boot disk somehow?

Also, other than date and time should I change any other settings in BIOS? Most of the stuff I read on the web refers to leaving most settings at auto or default, which is what I've done.

Lastly, after partitioning the Hard Drives, I can go right on to installing Vista correct? Making sure i'm not leaving out any steps.

System: Antec 900 case, Intel Q6600, 8800 GTX MSI, 4 GB RAM, 750 Seagate 7200 RPM, 150 Raptor 10,000 RPM, DVD x 20 Burner, Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Sounds like you just need to set your BIOS to boot from the DVD/CD drive, then reboot, with the Vista disk in the drive, of course. If your HD has been partitioned and formated you should be good to go, if not, there is a disc tools button on the Vista install screen somewhere, you can do it there too.

One thing that could be helpful other than setting your optical drive to be the first boot device, is disable any hardware on your motherboard that you're not going to use. This would be like parrallel port, serial ports, onboard sound (if you have a sound card), LAN port(s) if your not going to use them, game port, IEEE1394, etc, you get the idea. This way the hardware detect portion of the installation should go faster.