Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows XP home activated but logs off

Last response: in Windows XP
June 21, 2010 9:08:33 PM

hey guys, ive recently built a computer and it worked just fine. i activated xp home edition sp2 and all was well until a few days ago when there was the message "you must activate this Microsoft product in x amount of days, etc press yes or no". i press yes and of course it says that windows is already activated, and i can log into my account. however, now it says that it must be activated and when i click yes, it just logs me off again. this then continuously loops. now i researched this issue my self but there was little to no solutions. the only solution is the repair install but i want to know if there are other methods before i do that as a last option. thanks
June 22, 2010 2:43:54 AM

The only other suggestion that I've heard for a similar problem, was to upgrade IE. It seems like an odd solution, but I saw it suggested, and work for another member.

Beyond that, the windows repair would be a good next step. There's no risk, as it doesn't mess with any user data or applications.
Score
June 22, 2010 2:50:04 AM

upgrade internet explorer?
Score
Related resources
June 22, 2010 2:54:48 AM

also could you send me the link to the suggestion if you remember. thanks
Score
June 22, 2010 3:20:46 AM

wow i finally see a solution for this. thanks aford10 ill install it and see how it goes.
Score
June 22, 2010 3:33:18 AM

You're welcome,
Good luck.
Score
June 22, 2010 3:18:22 PM

it doesnt seem to do anything. when i start up and log in, the "this product must be activated now... click yes or no" when i click yes it says that windows is already activated and then it logs me out. this then loops whenever i click it again. when i click no it just logs me off anyway.
Score
June 22, 2010 3:28:54 PM

You get that in safe mode as well?

A windows repair would be my next suggestion.
Score
June 22, 2010 3:36:17 PM

i can get into safe mode, just not with networking. i installed IE 8 onto a usb drive and put it into my computer with the problem (i had IE 6). it installed and downloaded fine, but when i restarted the computer the same message pops up. i think this didnt work because in the thread you mentioned the guy didnt activate his product at all while i did. i think its something in the registry but i dont know what to change.
Score
June 22, 2010 3:45:50 PM

also since you suggest a repair install which is my last option, could you tell me what it deletes and what it does not because i have a lot of important files (i backed up a few). could you also tell me of your experiences with this repair install; good or bad? thanks.
Score
June 22, 2010 3:57:59 PM

A repair install simply reinstalls all of your system files. It doesn't touch any programs you've installed. It doesn't touch any of your personal files. I've used it on a number of occasions to repair client PCs, as well as my personal PCs. If there's anything wrong with the system files, it's a good way to fix it, without having to do a full reinstall.

Here's a guide, with screenshots, on how to do it.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instx...

Here's a nice description of what it does, how, and why it's helpful.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244555-45-performing-...
Score
June 22, 2010 9:35:19 PM

does this repair mess with the drivers (cpu, mobo, gpu, etc.) or just the OS itself? thanks
Score
June 22, 2010 9:38:31 PM

Just the OS.
Score
June 22, 2010 10:31:45 PM

oh wait nvm my mistake. i thought that i had to boot from cd again. i just had to wait.
Score
June 22, 2010 10:54:52 PM

wow i just finished the repair install and there is that same message. i really dont know what to do now. i followed all of the steps too.
Score
June 22, 2010 11:38:59 PM

Ok, try this:

Go to Start- Run then type Regedit.exe

Click here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

There you'll find a key called Activation Required ... double click on it and set the value to 0 (instead of 1)
Score
June 22, 2010 11:44:03 PM

Here's another option:

1. Reboot your computer into Safe Mode.

2. Go to Start > Run and type: %systemroot%\system32 then press the Enter key.

3. Locate these two files: wpa.dbl and wpa.bak

4. Rename the wpa.dbl file to wpaold.dbl and wpa.bak to wpaold.bak

5. Reboot your computer into Normal Mode. This will force activation on the following boot. Sometimes if those files get corrupted, they can cause this type of problem.
Score
June 23, 2010 12:03:50 AM

i cannot find activation required through that path. i tried the second option but i can only find wpa.dbl. i changed it to wpaold.dbl and it changes the message pop up to "a problem has prevented windows from accurately checking the status of the license for this computer"... it then says activate now yes/no and i click yes but it still says it is already activated and logs me off. so this only changes the popup message with the same results
Score
June 23, 2010 12:05:48 AM

I think it's because they are part of a whole solution. Try the Microsoft link above, starting with the first step.
Score
June 23, 2010 12:17:29 AM

i tried that before from the ms site and many files were missing so i couldn't really fix it
Score
June 23, 2010 12:35:33 AM

The only other things I can suggest, is to call the Microsoft activation line, or do a fresh install.
Score
June 23, 2010 12:42:22 AM

i ran this "rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk" and it worked! however the site i got this from says that it only resets the activation for 30 days again and you can only do this for a total of 120 days. i already activated my xp so this should not give me the 30 day message should it?
Score
June 23, 2010 1:10:49 AM

do you think that the message will pop up again? everything is working fine for me right now and there isn't the "you have 30 days to activate" message bubble.
Score
June 23, 2010 1:56:06 AM

Thanks for the link and update.

Yes, you'll likely get prompted again.
Score
June 23, 2010 2:32:34 AM

so even if i install the latest internet explorer and update to service pack 3 ill still get the message. i also used the antiwga crack to make it genuine. do you know anything about that?
Score
June 23, 2010 2:41:19 AM

You should do the updates, and hope that it's activated for good. However, using cracks are against the forum Terms of Service. Fair warning that, that kind of activity will get you banned.
Score
September 22, 2010 5:11:23 AM

This simple fix.

Start the computer in safe mode… not safe mode with networking – networking will not allow you to log on due to not being activated but plain safe mode will.
Click start, run in the run command line type this in exactly
rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobebnk
Note the comma and capitalization have to be included.
This will give you a new 30 day activation grace period.
Now restart the computer start windows normally.
Now you are able to uses windows but it still will not activate. To fix this you must download IE8.
Note IE7 will work but you might as well go ahead and update all the way to IE8 to make sure there are no further issues.
Once IE8 is installed you will be able to activate windows as normal.
If for some reason you do not see the activation icon – it is located Start-all programs-accessories-system tools
If you do not see it there type this into the run command
oobe/msoobe /a

See this link for full explanation http://www.computersandmore-tx.com/blog.php?post=3

hope it helps,
Steve
Score
September 22, 2010 5:12:43 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!