adlertheman

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
What is it that is making Amd's stock continue to climb,...(impressively)...they were down to 5$ just some weeks ago. Could it be the x2 ATI achievement we've all been hoping for as a birthday present or do people just find that Amd finally came to their senses?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
The new 45nm CPU's out this summer,the B3 rev Q2,the cell phone chips part of the company,laptop OEM contracts.

If Intel does now win it's appel in the EU courts this year they will have to start paying off the 10% fine for past sales...INTC will drop like a rock and AMD will hit over the $20 mark.

Given 4Q07 results, the last 2 quarters increase in market share, AMD's product roadmap, and the fact that AMD stock was/is priced at a new low; I say investors realize it's an attractive buy option.

I think ATI and the 3870x2 has little to do with it.

sailer

Splendid
Part of the run up on AMD's stock has been connected to the rise of stocks in general. But that seems to be going down today, so we can just wait and see what direction AMD goes. The news that Gateway is now going to be using the Phenom quads, TLB problem and all, must also be helping AMD. If they can dump the faulty chips on an otherwise unknowing public, then they make a lot of money on chips that they might otherwise have to throw into the scrap heap. And hey, most of the time no one is going to run into the errata problem, and if they do get a BSOD, they'll just think its an average computer thing. Big thing to Joe Blow is that he got the computer for a hundred dollars less then the former Intel chipped model.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

I would think that Gateway would apply the TLB fix patch...

After all, if a computer is faulty the customer is going to go after Gateway, not AMD.

ImajorI

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I bought some at $6 and more at $5.50 so I'm up over 37% right now. I think it’s too early to tell if this upswing will last. It’s my opinion the stock fell to far on overly pessimistic outlooks prior to the latest earnings report a couple weeks ago. So I felt it was a bit undervalued at the $5-6 range.

sailer

Splendid

I've read that a few people have been able to duplicate it, but they had to specifically work at getting it to show up. To the average comsumer, I doubt he'd ever be effected. Even if there was a BSOD sometime, it probably would be so rare that it would be hard to separate it from normal computer action.

@ Turboflame- From the news bulletins I've read, there was nothing about Gateway applying the TLB patch. Probably the best reason for not using the patch is that it does slow down the computer a lot, while the benefit of using it is between zero and none.

This isn't like the old problem that the first Pentiums had with their math, where people using large spreadsheets and such were getting errors. I can remember that one all to well, for I was doing some work on the side as an accountant and the math errors kept showing up. The quick fix for that at the time was an AMD 586 chip. Intel did eventually give a new chip for the faulty one.

Maybe AMD benefits from Intel's troubles. I've seen lots of articles saying that the E8400 overheats and doesn't even report the temps right.

Plus, AFAIK, the TLB bug has been fixed in the B3 stepping.

A third possible reason is there was a rumor about IBM and AMD getting into a "closer relationship". AMD went up 9% that day IIRC.

I think ATI should get some credit too. The HD 3850 nuked everything else under $200, and that's where a lot of buyers are.

sailer

Splendid

Agreed. I think the entire ATI division has been doing a lot for AMD right now. And yes, everything is pointing to the TLB bug being fixed in B3.

I have seen a few scattered reports on problems with the e8400, and in fact, with the entire Yorkie/Wolfdale line. Whether the reports are real, or if Intel is just holding off because it sees no reason to compete with itself, I can't say for sure.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
it over sold - over selling is when shorts pile on to speculate that it will go down too zero while actual holders of the stock do not want to sell.

when the shorts unwind (they get out of losing positions) people who held on buy and drive the stock higher.

the more buyers the more shorts unwind as there break evern price is reached.

lets say you shorted the stock at 6 it would go to 4 - the stock goes to 6.5 you have to buy to unwind your short

amd stock is the up phase of equlaulizing, after falling from the 14-15 support area it was in free fall from the quad mess. it over sold to under 6 and now will find a top and go down to it reaches equilbrium

the fair value price is in the 6-8 region - we see after the last leg of the 2 leg bear market sell off

as good news comes out the stock will build a base and then bottom - it may be doing that now or it may retest the lows before building a base to rally back after amd figures out "how to make a true quad core"

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
amd will restest the lows with the rest of the market - the second leg of the bear market. i doubt amd or intel will go lower then the current lows.

nvidia is a great buy at 18 - will you get the chance?

both intel and amd are good buys i own none - soon i will own some - i will not make any more good guess's

i own no stocks, i do not work for any trading, investment or computer companies, my post are dead on and as far as stocks will soon end.

amd - amd is a buy. you can get it at 7 or 6 i doubt you get chance in the 5's again. how long to get your money back? i say 3-24 months

intel - as predicted intel traded 18-22 read my posts. as intel reached 22 the entire stock market sold off.

does intel predict the market? i have no idea.

bear markets last 6 months this one started in october - intel will retrace its lows and test them. i do not think they will be broken. if so then 17's is the floor.

just my guess no differenet then:

q6600 voltage with 780i is 1.4875 with 1.43-145v at full load

ddr2 voltage is best at 2-2.1v

I want to know why AMD would even consider releasing B3's if they will have 45nm so fast. I really doubt they will have 45nm before the end of the year. And the TLB is not what makes me get concerned. Its the fact that it has been proven that quite a few Phenoms at stock would not run right due to on core being faulty and thus having to be underclocked in order to run right. Releasing B3's and then 45nm at the same time would basically result in loss of profit cuz if their 45nm tech if better why would you buy a 65nm B3 when the 45nm is better?

I imagine if this get out in a big way it will effet their stocks. Intel is down due to them missing an analayists prediction. Whats weird is they posted record profits and was way above the same period in Q4 of o6. But I doubt Intel's stock will tank really. It may drop a bit more but it has a lot to do with the conditions of the entire economy and everybodys fear of recession.

I think over the next year Intels stock will rise and AMDs as wel if nothing bad happens. As long as AMD becomes competative in the entire CPU market and not just the uber cheap end they should do alright.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Intel stock is down due to cycles and funds and people who actually know little about the stock.

To understand this fact, go back to intels products and press releases and look at the anaylists.

you see they come very late to party

its the same on the sell end, intel stock is simply retracing on a bigger move to 40

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Well I don't have any idea why I would need a Quad core CPU at this point from -any- CPU maker.
See my profile for the seven on my home LAN.

I am putting together my own -personal- dual core right now as a "hold over" untill next year when prices drop due to the economy and the fact that I am selling out in LA and moveing to the top end of California.

Anyhow in the past few weeks AMD has gained as much as INTC has dropped.
If one of my CD's was ready two weeks ago rather than on the 28th I would have bought AMD @ $5.32 per share and sold most of it when it hit the $8 mark...saveing some free cheap stock for next Xmas when the price really goes up.

sailer

Splendid
@ ZOldDude- The main reasons I want a quad are: 1. On occasion my computer slows to a crawl because of multiple intense programs I run and 2. FSX runs better with quads than with duals.

So you are leaving the smog area and heading up for some cleaner air. Somewhere in the Alturus area?

Yeah, I wish I had snagged some of the AMD back when it was in the low 5s as well. But there was a period where some analysts thought it was going to go into the 4s, so I held off. Worst mistake I've made since I held off on Chrysler at 1.125. Oh well, days like that happen. AMD is currently headed down now, so I may get a second chance.