Sign in with
Your question

Computer locks up moving files between two SATA drives?

Last response: in Storage
January 26, 2009 12:29:55 AM

Hey I got a weird problem that has cropped up ever since I put in a second drive. Quick run down on the specs:

MSI P35 Neo2 Ver 1.1 mainboard
Western Digital 500GB drive (C:) 
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB drive (D:) 
Windows XP SP3

When I either Shift+Drag or Cut/Paste files from the 1TB (D:)  drive to the 500GB (C:)  drive, the files will copy to the new location but when it attempts to remove the file from the old D: location, it hangs up. If I cancel the copy operation, the computer still appears to be functional. However I cannot access the file in the new or old locations. If I attempt to delete the file from the old location, it says its in use still. At this point if I attempt to write any files to the D: drive, the computer locks up solid and I can only power cycle. If I do not write to D: and attempt to shutdown the OS, the computer locks up. I've also fired up procexp and I can see that there are still active file handles to the old and new files but if I attempt to close the file handles, the computer locks up. Once I boot the computer back up, the files in both the old and new location are valid and can be manipulated again. So the files are not getting corrupted in the process, it's just like it has a problem removing the file from the old source location.

I can duplicate the problem at will and its a pain in the ass to troubleshoot since you only get one shot at it before the computer locks up. This problem does not happen if I cut/paste from C: to D:.

Any one see anything similar before? Or perhaps have any suggestions?
February 7, 2009 8:35:20 AM

I have a similar symptom where if I RDP to my main home server from either another desktop or laptop on the same LAN, subnet, etc. and copy/move a file between the two machines, the server will lockup within 15 sec. to 45 sec. The server hardware and OS info is below. I too notice that I can do it somewhat at will, but the difference being that I can invoke the enevitable lockup by copying a >32MB file to the main server from another machine, but I can't definitively say when the lockup is going to occur. I can only say that before the file is done moving the main server will lockup causing the RDP session to be severed and require a hard reboot to recover. Moving >32MG up to at least 100GB files between the two internal SATA drives in the main server is consistently successful. Since adding the second 1TB Seagate drive I have moved several large .avi files with 100% success until I have all my date moved around and completed some initial network backups. Although this is a major issue for my day to day activities and such, I have had very little time to root cause the problem. I do now however have time scheduled to investigate and will update you on my findings if you would like.

** Interesting enough, during the time it took me to write this post I had this machine logged into my home server (RDP) and hadn't done anything since logging in. I went to move some windows around and everything froze in the RDC window when I moved one of the explorer windows and then the connection locked up withing 20 sec. I had to physicall power cycle it to recover.

Home Server Info:

WinXP Pro Ver 2002 w/ SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz CPU
2 GB Memory (Patriot, model currently N/A)
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT Display Adapter
Seagate 1TB ST31000333AS Hard Drive
Seagate 1 TB ST31000340AS Hard Drive
Realtek RT8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Gigabyte S-series GA-P35-DS3L Motherboard Rev. 2.0

m
l
August 22, 2009 6:40:59 PM

I don't know why, but one of my machines has just begun to show these symptoms. It also is XP Pro SP3. have other XP Pro machines that do not exhibit this locking up on moving a file. Did you ever resolve it? I am having to Copy and then Delete the old version. A pain, but workable.
m
l
a b G Storage
August 22, 2009 11:26:39 PM

some of the seagate 7200.11 drives have firmware problems.. have you checked into seeing if your drive is one of the affected ones?

perhaps a firmware update might fix your problem\

also try copying a 1GB or so file to the same drive on each drive ie

from C: to C: and D: to D: (copy not move)
m
l
!