zhadows

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Hello, I recently received my shipment of an 8800GTS[512mb] and to my surprise...it did not fit my case. So much for the 5day waiting spree :( . The card was pretty wide and it would bump into my heatsink henceforth this thread.

At the moment I need some advice, what case would be best overall? My budget is around 50-70$ or so, I would just like my card to fit =(

Thanks

bobdole91

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
bob dole just got a centurion 5 with side panel window for around $45, he doesn't remember how much it was shipped. Fits his 8800gt and he's read reviews of it fitting a gts so he recommends that. But then again he's a n00b :p

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
The Antec 900 is great and will hold a GTS.

It runs very cool but can be pretty loud because it is very open....if you overclock its a good case, but atm there are no good deals. A couple weeks ago it was $70, so if you can wait for it it will pay off

How about the RC-690, do you like that one? $70+$18.64 at newegg, or $85+free shipping at buy.com.

http://www.buy.com/prod/cooler-master-690-no-p-s/q/loc/101/206177908.html

It even fits the 8800GTX or two 8800GTSs. Quote below from a newegg review.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

Pros: I have built about 15 computers and this has been one of my favorite cases. The HD bays are completely tooless, as are the mounting points for the cards. Even the CD was tooless. This makes changing out parts very quick. More importantly, the layout of the case made putting a PC Power and Cooling PS in a snap (its not ATX, its bigger), and the two 8800GTS-512's in SLI fit. I particularly liked the organization of fans which are quiet. I do suggest buying two more quiet 120's as they make almost no noise. I have four of these fans in this case and they whisper. I like how two fans exhaust out the top quietly. The excellent air flow keeps the video cards cool - nothing gets hot including the hard drives. The whole computer is quiet.

Cons: I thought the bright blue front fan was a bit too much so I took it out. I just let the four fans suck air through the front opening. THERE IS NO SPEAKER. Since I was replacing a case, I stripped the old one out, but I don't know why Cooler Master skimps on this. Maybe this is the new standard. Without it, where's the beep.

Edit: come to think of it, Antec 900 at $90 sounds better than RC-690 at $85. Just use the Google checkout to get the $90 price.
http://www.buy.com/prod/antec-nine-...-tower-computer-case/q/loc/101/202997579.html

+1 for Antec 900.

Zhadows, of those you listed, I would take the Smilodon over the others. However, in all reality, I wouldn't have chosen any of the three you listed, based on quality issues. Then again, I am picky...

cosmicc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Go for the Antec 900, I got one, and the space inside is pretty amazing, it would no doubt fit the 8800gts.
Apart from another comment earlier, if you put all the fans to low (each has its own 3-speed controller) the case is actually fairly quiet, at least, I can't complain...

That NZXT looks decent. I don't like front doors over drives.
I've used a number of CoolerMaster cases recently. They are clean, simple, and offer good airflow and enough room. I did have some quality issues with a Centurion though; most of the standoff holes were not properly threaded. A couple were, and two-three I could force with pliers, but that was it. The Elite cases I've used (four this year) have all been good.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP

I know it's out of his price range, but doesn't anyone have that case?

It looks interesting, with the VGA duct:

11-119-138-13.jpg