Sign in with
Your question

Massive 2600 XT Artifacting!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2008 2:37:14 PM

I installed my new HD 2600 XT AGP today, only to find that I can't use it..

First off, the Catalyst 8.1 drivers wouldn't install, so I had to use the 7.1 given to me on the drivers disk.

When I open a game, almost every single texture is out of place. Aside from that, it appears to work fine.

This is what it looks like:
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/984/40897896ki6.jpg

Also, when I test the card at stock clocks, in the Catalyst overdrive utility, it fails.

Now, I have a few leads, but I really want to avoid sending it back.

-I am using a 500w PSU with 18A on the +12v rail. Could this be an issue of the card being underpowered? When working in 2D, everything is fine, but the second I open a game, everything is screwed up, 2D and 3D combined.. so techincally the first few seconds can't be working the card enough to cause anything, and artifacting doesn't seem the likely effect.

-The card heats up to 50C while idle in 2D. This would seem likely to be an overheating issue, but how could the card overheat at stock clocks?

So, what do you think is causing the problem?
I can't seem to find a way to underclock it, because ATI Tool seems to not work, and Riva Tuner doesn't show me the overclocking utility.

I'm really quite stuck. I only have a little time to enjoy it and I really don't want to have to send it back.

Thanks in advance!
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2008 5:51:00 PM

Did you grab the ATI or Sapphire Hotfix for the AGP cards? If not give them a go:
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=8...

Also, the HD2600XT is not a big power consuming card but I would want sure more than 18 amp on the 12v to power one. You don't need the 30 amp MSI mentions but I would have wanted 22-24 amp anyway.
Related resources
January 27, 2008 6:31:44 PM

pauldh said:
Did you grab the ATI or Sapphire Hotfix for the AGP cards? If not give them a go:

Also, the HD2600XT is not a big power consuming card but I would want sure more than 18 amp on the 12v to power one. You don't need the 30 amp MSI mentions but I would have wanted 22-24 amp anyway.

But the lack amps wouldn't cause his card to artifact would it? I lack power would mean the card would simply underclock itself and draw the most power that it could from the PSU.

There was an artfacting thread on the Radeon X1900 XT in the ATI forum, we believe that the artifacting was caused by damaged vram, if your card is suffering the same sort of problems I would RMA it.
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2008 6:44:20 PM

I think he just needs the hotfix drivers. Typically if he lacks the 12v power he would just have instability... crashing and not artifacts. But if it isn't the drivers, I still wouldn't rule the power supply out. Of course, it could be he has a bad card too.
January 27, 2008 7:31:59 PM

JeanLuc said:
But the lack amps wouldn't cause his card to artifact would it? I lack power would mean the card would simply underclock itself and draw the most power that it could from the PSU.

A lack of sufficient power is more likely to cause crashes than artifacts. Loads on the PSU are parallel to each other, so if the video card is being starved for power, so are all the other devices that share the voltage rail. Any or all devices being starved could malfunction and cause a system lockup or reboot.

Also, the card does not respond by underclocking itself. I'm not sure where you heard that, but it doesn't work that way.
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 27, 2008 7:54:45 PM

You either need to get the hotfix pauldh mentioned or go with a set of Omega drivers.
http://www.omegadrivers.net/
Mactronix
January 28, 2008 3:09:09 AM

pauldh said:

Alright, so I think I managed to install the AGP hotfixed 8.1 drivers.

But I'm still getting horrible artifacts in games. And I remember that the last graphics card I put into this machine also had the exact same problem when I first put it in, and all I had to do was update the drivers.
Unfourtunetely, this doesn't seem to work here.
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2008 11:35:46 AM

I would have said bad card, but not if another card did the exact same thing for you. Does this mobo have integrated video?

Did you remove the old drivers from add/remove programs? Run driver Cleaner Pro?
January 28, 2008 1:50:02 PM

pauldh said:
I would have said bad card, but not if another card did the exact same thing for you. Does this mobo have integrated video?

Did you remove the old drivers from add/remove programs? Run driver Cleaner Pro?

Alright, I've come to the conclusion that the culprit is this copy of Windows.

I placed the card in a different computer and everything worked fine.

So, I'll re-install Windows on this PC and everything should be ok.

Thank you for your help, Paduldh. It was very much appriciated :) 
!