DVD player

What is the process to determine what program is used to read a DVD? I
thought the file associations dictated that, and have tried to change them to
use a different reader than Windows Media Player, but it keeps coming up and
it cannot read the DVD. I have installed VLC Media reader and it is listed
when I right click to select it, the DVD plays correctly. I would like to be
able to use the autoplay. I did go to the DVD drive and select the autoplay
and set it to use the VLC but it still does not use it. I tried to uninstall
Media a player and it said it did, but it was just fibbing to me.

I'm on an Italian WIN2K system right now, so I can't confirm the
precision of what follows, but it should give you an idea.

If I remember correctly, when one right-clicks on a drive, one sees an
AUTOPLAY entry. Ignore that, and instead go to PROPERTIES>AUTORUN,
where you should be able to specify the desired action for any
particular type of file.

Having said that, I find that my settings keep on getting lost - at
least for some devices. I don't know if this is typical or just a
peculiarity of my system.

Already did that and it does not keep the setting nor launch the correct
program if I tell it to apply and immediately launch the CD.