Sign in with
Your question

Antec P182 lower PSU compartment/fan install question

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2008 2:16:22 PM

Good afternoon,

I found a thread last night somewhat dealing with this, and I don't know if it was on this forum or what, but I cannot seem to relocate it. Nonetheless, I needed some additional opinions either way.

I have an Antec P182 case, and an Ultra X3 800w PSU. So far I've been highly impressed with both products.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to keep the lower fan installed. The one that resides in front of the power supply. I have since relocated it to the upper area. Here is my crude paint pic. :D 

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/OmahaGTP/test.jpg

My question is, should I investigate getting a "thin" 120mm fan to replace the empty area in the bottom portion?

Or should my Ultra X3's 135mm fan be ok down there by itself? I have 2 Seagate 7200.11's in the lower right cage, so it's just the PSU and 2 HDD's hangin' out.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your time.
February 5, 2008 2:54:41 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. The psu fan should keep it cool just fine.
February 5, 2008 3:14:16 PM

Having a fan in that location will most likely interfere with any mainstream graphics card installations. Obviously whatever you have in there isn't being interfered with right now, though.

Did you try installing the fan on the opposite side of the PSU-HDD separator? You may or may not have space to do this and still connect your hard drives.
Related resources
February 5, 2008 4:01:18 PM

your psu fan will keep things good. I have the same case and have been playing with it as well. Isn't there a spot for a thin 120mm fan on the front bottom? you have to pull the hard drive cage out to get to it. I think i'm going to take out the big fan in the middle lower compartment and put a thin one in front of the hard drives.
February 5, 2008 4:04:16 PM

Yeah, the card I am using temporarily until the new nvidia 9 series come out will fit just fine. And even then, I can remove that upper hard drive bay and mount the fan directly on the front of the case, instead of clipped on the upper hard drive cage.

As for the bottom, the fan bracket that screws onto the fan and slides into the case can only be mounted on the PSU side and not the other, lower HDD cage side. Though I did look into it. Ha. I suppose I could finangle something to work there, but it wouldn't be pretty.

Hmmm, indeed.

EDIT - Hmm, that is a good idea jeremy. I will check into that when I get home.
!