Sign in with
Your question

Whenever SATA II drive is connected, computer fails to POST. Dead ??

Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2009 2:44:24 AM

I have an aBit IP35 Pro mobo and 3 identical Western Digital SE 16 Caviar SATAII 500GB drives. My computer was running fine until one day it started to struggle during the post. It would freeze on "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and then display "HARD DISK BOOT FAILURE, PLEASE INSERT THE SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

I had this error for a couple days straight. Days 1 and 2 I was able to boot to the disk by rebooting my computer over, and over, and over again. It took forever, but I finally got the drive to boot up. Once the drive was booted up, it ran fine for long sessions. I suspect that the boot sector on my drive is corrupt and is thus rendering the drive dead. I tried clearing CMOS and low-level formatting the drive, but I still couldn't get it to work. Considering sometimes I can get the drive to run fine (with my data intact), is there any chance the drive might be salvageable?

I took the drive out and my computer runs flawlessly with the 2 remaining drives. Whenever I try to connect the bad drive to my mobo, my computer usually freezes during post, sometimes at the splash page, and other times at "Loading hard disks, no any disk found" stage. Sometimes I can get into BIOS, and when I do, BIOS doesn't recognize the drive.

Is this a pretty clear example of a dead drive? Would a dead drive cause the computer to crash during post?
January 27, 2009 3:16:49 AM

Also, I forgot to mention that I was able to boot into the drive by inserting my Windows disk. Then things started to go haywire (crashing during the post, BIOS not seeing my drive, etc). Unfortunately now I can't get the disk to boot... I guess it was on its death bed and now it's finally dead.
!