uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Why? Like toms said, its pointless, all it will do is heat your room and be noisey.

Why would you waste that much money on it as well, and dnt say if you used it for its purpose yu wouldnt, becuase if you wanted to do that, you would get a server.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
What a waste of time and money.

If you sold your soul today for that system...

In December you could build a system that would beat it for cheaper, with a Nehalem and TRUE next gen cards.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

As UK said, it'd be cheaper to buy a server and not be forced to use QX CPUs.

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I wouldn't say it's pointless....If you're into 3D modeling/rendering....which I am...The horsepower of all those cores is really going to speed you up...

plus..all those PCIE slots......can you say 8 monitors...I'd love to have all those palettes open at the same time...surrounded by 2 dozen megapixels or so...

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Consider the cost of all of those put together and then find a comparable server for the same cost. Odds are the server is going to be better.

I understand it has some use, but worth it? Hardly.

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Cost of all what? the procs and mobo? dual quad xeon setups (like the one I'm typing this message on) are more expensive than a dual quad (non-xeon) setup. So this is an interesting development...

That's what's being made available, two quads without having to go xeon...

As far as all the video cards and monitors....you're always going to run into those costs if you want that functionality...no matter what the platform.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Holy... geebus... the sheer weight holding 2 9700 (I think those are 9700?) Zalman's.

I guess that something you wouldn't want to drop on yer toe.... :oops:

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Correct. It would be nice for that.

SkullTrail is an extremely niche product that is of little use to Gamers or those looking to build a cheap server.
If you are into what you are, it's great.

It's just not a great system for 98% of the folks here, even if they were given unlimited funds to build the system of their choice.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

As far as I remember the price point for the motherboard was going to be around $600-700.

Unless something has changed the only Quad offered for it is an Extreme Edition (another $1200x2).

And it uses FB-Dimms.

If the Xeon platform is cheaper, I stand corrected, I just think (and have always thought) that the Extreme Editions were a waste of money.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
As it says, the fact is that no software is quite optimized for this dinosaur. And yes, Skull Trail is aimed at the gamers, not 3d content creators, scientists or programmers. It's a fiasco in my opinion, once you try to simply overcome the lack of performance with quantity instead of quality. Recent examples:
PentiumD, AMD FX, Q6xxx(compared to the 9xxx series).
Get a decent mobo, get a nice e6850, get a freakishly large cooler and OC it if like your life depends on it. Then put in two 3750X2s in a Crossfire and play like a god.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

:lol:. o O (whoop.. lots of responses after I typed this)

I'll be the judge of dat.... come on.. give me da funds man!!

2 weeks later...

Yep, your right... not for everyone, but ME!!!! My... My... prrrrecious.

1 week later...

Just got out of the hospital, darn PC fell on my foot when I was trying to move it.

1 week later...

Whelp.. typing this from my friends PC... for got to pay for electric bill. :cry:

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Would I like to have one? Sure. Would I pay for one? Probably not. Its cool, but just not practical at this point or useful (from my standpoint).

Best,

3Ball

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
However what it WILL be awesome for is lifting the 3dmark06 bottleneck off of future GX2 quad sli setups :D

And.. thats as far as I can get really...

Still considering one tbh. Quads are useless, SLI.xfire is practically useless, lots of ram is useless, fast ram is useless, faster HD's are extremly limited and pretty much useless.

So meh, might aswell get the whole useless lot. Besides, when I get my first job Ill have no bills to pay, might aswell spend it while I got it.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

What are you basing these statements on?
There is software designed that can handle all 8 cores.
It happens to be 3D-Content Creation.

Games are not overly CPU intensive, but 3D-Content Creation is.

It has it's place and it's not to play Crysis.
Go back and apply more pimple cream.

Some folks have real jobs and do real work.

mi1ez

Splendid

Don't get me started on my Pentium D. *sigh*

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
looks impressive....

but hey intel, we need multi threaded applications to utilize this huge costly processor......

yes it will be the fast test thing ever but we will need a true 64 os with 64 bit multi threaded compiled programs to take advantage of it all.....

Alas there is hardly ... if any out there.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

TC, from my friend at Intel they are only planning to sell 5000 of these lifetime. If they sell more than that is it a failure?

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006

Why would any gamer be drawn to Skulltrail? Do you understand what an FB-DIMM is? You'd have to be seriously damaged goods to think that this would make a good gaming machine. And there's plenty of software optimized for more than 4 cores, take a look at Anand's review that someone kindly posted earlier. You're entitled to your opinions and whatnot, but when you start a sentence with "the fact is" followed by an absolute fallacy, then you tend to embarrass yourself.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
4X4 didn't work for AMD, and this isn't going to work for Intel.
It doesn't even make a cost-effective server...
A Mac Pro (running 2 quad-core 45nm Xeons) is massively cheaper than that (for a basic one) and will offer better performance as it has been designed for a job, not just a half-arse server rip-off with a 'gamer' sticker on it.
Complete and utter waste of money...