Sign in with
Your question

Computer not working - frequent crashes, no signal to monitor, etc.

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2008 11:12:36 PM

Hi,

I recently bought a $2K gaming rig, but recently it's become pretty much useless. I've had three BSODs in the past 24 hours, and many more random lock ups (the screen goes black, when I turn the monitor back on, no signal; the keyboard and mouse don't work either when this happens).

I also usually don't have a signal to the monitor. The shutdowns and BSODs usually happen when I'm playing games, I've played Counter Strike and Lost Planet without any problems, but the BSODs and shutdowns happened when I played Age of Empires III and Rome: Total War. I've yet to install other games on my computer, so those are the only examples. However, the lock-ups and BSODs have been more frequent in the past few days - it BSOD'd twice in an hour when I browsing the internet.

Also, when I restart the computer after a lock up, there's no signal to the monitor (there's no signal to the monitor in many cases, but this always happens after a lock up), and I try to unplug and replug everything. When I do this, it usually short-circuits my entire room, and I have to go downstairs and reset all the jumpers.

Could this be my power supply?

I've only taken notes from one BSOD; the others disappeared too quick for me to take notes on them (this was during Rome: Total War):

Driver_Irql_not_less_or_equal

***stop 0x0000000DI (0x7658AD1)
0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xBAC327OF

*** Lhidfilt.sys -adress bac327ofbase at BAC30000, Datestamp 46f3a572

The "Driver_Irql_not_less_or_equal" suggests that there's been some issue with the drivers, but I've installed everything properly.

Also, could this be faulty RAM?

Specs are:
GeForce 8800 GTS 640 (This was the only 8800 available at my local computer shop, my parents don't want to buy online or go far to buy it)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
Corsair XMS 2 Gigs PC2-5400 DDR2
400 Gig 7200 RPM Hard Drive
eVga nForce 650i motherboard
600 Watt Power Supply
1 DVD-RW drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

January 21, 2008 11:15:48 PM

PS I haven't overclocked any of the parts.
January 21, 2008 11:37:31 PM

While I don't have an answer for you, I did have similar problems (frequent crashes, frequent BSOD with the "Driver_Irql_not_less_or_equal", among others) with my Asus nForce 650i motherboard. I never could officially diagnose the problem, and the board did eventually die. Could it be some sort of problem with the 650i chipset?
Related resources
January 21, 2008 11:55:55 PM

If you have any other memory available, install it. Otherwise, in BIOS set the memory voltage and timings to Mfg. specs and run memtes86. If you have no other RAM to use, try running the computer with one DIMM in slot one only. If the first DIMM still causes crashes, try the other DIMM as a single. Maybe not all, but part of your problem is very likely being caused by your RAM.
January 22, 2008 12:16:05 AM

But how does the computer short-circuit my room?
January 22, 2008 12:27:30 AM

what brand is the power supply?
January 22, 2008 12:29:50 AM

If you correctly installed the MB standoffs, then I'd be getting the psu tested. I'd also test the wall socket for proper voltage, and for proper grounding.
January 22, 2008 12:43:10 AM

uh oh this looks like the symptoms of omgmypowersupplysuckssothanitwasn'tstableanddestroyedmycomputer.

tsk tsk. such a waste.
January 22, 2008 1:26:14 AM

MUDKIP I assume you or someone dear to you put the system together. Check that the CPU fan is securely in place and is doing its job cooling the cpu properly, I always curse the fan set ups on p4/c2d's as they don't always lock into place properly all the time, particularly if fan is reused or replaced after first install.

This doesn't explain the electrical problems in your room though, but if the fan is on properly then check that you haven't mistakenly put USB plug on a Fire Wire port on the mobo as this can cause electrical problems.

Also if your case has separate pins for USB 2 connectors remove these from the main board and check for electrical stability as incorrect fitting has been known to cause explosions in the PSU and luckily so far your circuit breakers have cut in before damage is done. The reason they cause power issues is that both USB and Fire Wire have voltage supply lines and if incorrectly fitted will be feeding power to parts of the mobo that don't require it or worse don't like it.
January 22, 2008 1:40:57 AM

harna said:
MUDKIP I assume you or someone dear to you put the system together. Check that the CPU fan is securely in place and is doing its job cooling the cpu properly, I always curse the fan set ups on p4/c2d's as they don't always lock into place properly all the time, particularly if fan is reused or replaced after first install.

This doesn't explain the electrical problems in your room though, but if the fan is on properly then check that you haven't mistakenly put USB plug on a Fire Wire port on the mobo as this can cause electrical problems.

Also if your case has separate pins for USB 2 connectors remove these from the main board and check for electrical stability as incorrect fitting has been known to cause explosions in the PSU and luckily so far your circuit breakers have cut in before damage is done. The reason they cause power issues is that both USB and Fire Wire have voltage supply lines and if incorrectly fitted will be feeding power to parts of the mobo that don't require it or worse don't like it.

I'll take a look at that tomorrow morning, but I'm sure everything's installed right. The fan for sure is working fine, it's keeping the CPU at a temp of 35 degrees.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2008 3:56:52 AM

I think I might be looking at PSU, maybe get that tested, I've had ultra power supplies I've been happy with before, but I've also heard bad things about them.
January 22, 2008 5:42:50 AM

your father should check the house electricy cicuit because that might be the problem, and buy a batery fotr the pc that should work around, you should do this before buy that 2k pc, check the ram or the motherboard.

MUDKIP said:
Hi,

I recently bought a $2K gaming rig, but recently it's become pretty much useless. I've had three BSODs in the past 24 hours, and many more random lock ups (the screen goes black, when I turn the monitor back on, no signal; the keyboard and mouse don't work either when this happens).

I also usually don't have a signal to the monitor. The shutdowns and BSODs usually happen when I'm playing games, I've played Counter Strike and Lost Planet without any problems, but the BSODs and shutdowns happened when I played Age of Empires III and Rome: Total War. I've yet to install other games on my computer, so those are the only examples. However, the lock-ups and BSODs have been more frequent in the past few days - it BSOD'd twice in an hour when I browsing the internet.

Also, when I restart the computer after a lock up, there's no signal to the monitor (there's no signal to the monitor in many cases, but this always happens after a lock up), and I try to unplug and replug everything. When I do this, it usually short-circuits my entire room, and I have to go downstairs and reset all the jumpers.

Could this be my power supply?

I've only taken notes from one BSOD; the others disappeared too quick for me to take notes on them (this was during Rome: Total War):

Driver_Irql_not_less_or_equal

***stop 0x0000000DI (0x7658AD1)
0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xBAC327OF

*** Lhidfilt.sys -adress bac327ofbase at BAC30000, Datestamp 46f3a572

The "Driver_Irql_not_less_or_equal" suggests that there's been some issue with the drivers, but I've installed everything properly.

Also, could this be faulty RAM?

Specs are:
GeForce 8800 GTS 640 (This was the only 8800 available at my local computer shop, my parents don't want to buy online or go far to buy it)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850
Corsair XMS 2 Gigs PC2-5400 DDR2
400 Gig 7200 RPM Hard Drive
eVga nForce 650i motherboard
600 Watt Power Supply
1 DVD-RW drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

January 22, 2008 8:10:26 PM

how would you go about testing a PSU?
January 22, 2008 8:11:43 PM

Also, can anyone guess why there's always no signal to the monitor?
January 22, 2008 9:14:48 PM

could be a problem with the video or the ram

MUDKIP said:
Also, can anyone guess why there's always no signal to the monitor?

January 22, 2008 11:43:02 PM

My computer's behaving erratically - when I came home from school, I was able to turn it on without any problems, there was a signal to the monitor, everything was working fine. But I started to play around for a bit, and eventually the computer froze. My mouse didn't move at all.

I turned off the computer, and turned it back on. No signal to the monitor. But later, I came back, and started it up; everything was working fine. I was looking up info on memtest, and then the monitor blacked out, and the keyboard and mouse didn't work (when I pressed caps lock, nothing lit up).

Anyone have a guess as to why this is?
!