Sign in with
Your question

Did I Fry My 7600gt?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 27, 2008 11:57:34 PM

So I opened up the case today to use an air can to blow stuff out and somehow my gpu fan decided to stop working on startup. The temperature got up to 103C before I noticed, so I quick opened up the case and messed with the fan and now it's working, I dunno if some dust got jammed in there or what. Is there a pretty good chance I fried this? How can I find out if I didn't? Just run atitools scan for artifacts or what?

More about : fry 7600gt

January 28, 2008 12:05:03 AM

103 is nice and hot for a graphics card, but they are meant to have much higher temps and withstand it more than CPU's. There's a higher possibility that there will be artifacts, but if nothing seems to be wrong, just make sure it doesn't happen again and forget about it (don't, really).
January 28, 2008 12:09:29 AM

starcraftfanatic said:
103 is nice and hot for a graphics card, but they are meant to have much higher temps and withstand it more than CPU's. There's a higher possibility that there will be artifacts, but if nothing seems to be wrong, just make sure it doesn't happen again and forget about it (don't, really).

I did an atitool scan for artifacts, it topped out at 70C at about 2 mins, stayed that way until about 9 mins then suddenly it started climbing up to about 90C. The fan's still going...do you think this means I did fry it?
Related resources
January 28, 2008 12:18:15 AM

wrathloki said:
I did an atitool scan for artifacts, it topped out at 70C at about 2 mins, stayed that way until about 9 mins then suddenly it started climbing up to about 90C. The fan's still going...do you think this means I did fry it?

Doubtful. That card can handle 120C before shutting itself off.
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2008 12:31:41 AM

Play some games and if it doesn't lock up or kick you to the desktop, and no artifacts appear, it's fine.
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2008 12:43:40 AM

Reapply the thermal paste and see if it helps.
!