Sign in with
Your question

Anybody try this with a dead hard drive?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Backup
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 27, 2009 12:32:00 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck extracting whatever data possible from a dead hard drive by using an eSata or USB external enclosure/caddy?

Yesterday, out of the blue, my work pc shut down. Upon reboot, my second hard drive containing all kinds of data files was not recognized in the bios or by windows. I'm guessing that's it's a goner...

I've learned my lesson the hard way - backup, backup, backup. You don't know what you have until it's gone....

More about : dead hard drive

a b G Storage
January 28, 2009 1:41:30 PM

I have heard of putting the drive in the freezer for a couple hours on certain occasions.
If the drive is dead internally than it won't work externally unless the problem was with the motherboard or cable.
January 28, 2009 6:21:00 PM

sturm said:
I have heard of putting the drive in the freezer for a couple hours on certain occasions.

i had the boot drive on an Asus P4C800 system die about 2 weeks ago. i guess quiet clicking sounds really are a sign of impending disaster, because that's what happened one or 2 boots before system death.

it was an old system, thoroughly backed up. the boot drive was a Seagate 120 GB SATA drive.

i believe you about putting it in the freezer working sometimes, as far as getting the drive back for a short time to facilitate a more orderly shutdown. i would be interested to hear a hard drive design engineer explaining why it works.

Related resources
!