Sign in with
Your question

What is my bottleneck?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2008 1:12:13 AM

Hey there, there's a strange slowdown on my system when I try to play games at high settings online. I tried to play 2142 everything maxed online, and it would be all jumpy and impossible to play. Weird as the in game FPS counter read, at lowest, 30 FPS.

Trying to narrow down the cause, I than played a single player game with the same settings and was running smooth at a nice 60 fps. I also logged the usage of my CPU, memory, network and hard drive while playing single player and online to help me narrow it down even more. When playing single it read 60% for the memory, when playing online however it would max out.

Here's my specs:
-CPU = AMD 4800 X2 939 , I don't think it can be this as this CPU is probably one of the best dual cores on the 939 socket.
-MOBO = DFI LANPARTY SLI D, I don't think this could be it either as it is one of the best 939 mobos made.
-GPU = 7600 GT x 2 SLI , 1 of these babies could handle a game at high settings already, having them in SLI should not throw off performance.
-HDD = Sata 150, Not the fastest but should be sufficient enough to handle my games.
-RAM = 1 GB PC4000 ballistix Tracer, 2x256 mb PC4000 Ballistix,
this MIGHT be the cause, Windows only detects 1 of the 1.5 GB's, and I had to run the ram at 2T as the DFI board only allows 1T for certain slots. I'm not entirely sure how much of a performance loss I have from mixing a single channel 1 GB stick with dual channel 512 mb sticks. I wouldn't think it would hinder my performance that much as the timings are pretty tight and the clock speeds are well above average ddr ram. Nonetheless I have a feeling they might be the cause.
-Network = Wireless USB dongle, now, I know cables are much faster than wireless, but I've downloaded movies and songs at the same speed as the other computers in my house connected wired to my router. This might also be my problem.
-PSU = antec smartpower 500 W, maybe not be SLI certified but the 7600's didn't require then own power source so I believe I am able to handle this set up, only fails on me when i overclock the cards.

Now before I go out and buy anything, I just want some input. This computer was salvaged over months of finding second hand parts, so I don't want to be going out and buying things at those crazy retail prices.

-Thanks for your time, Snakedude

More about : bottleneck

a b Î Nvidia
January 28, 2008 1:52:25 AM

If this was April I'd think it was a joke.

Your ram configuration is a laugh. Use the one stick of pc4000. The other thrown in is slowing you down.

The video cards totally blow to begin with, sli or non sli........ sorry to insult you.

Nobody, and I mean nobody should go on line to play any game and expect to play like your sitting in your room playing single player. Ain't gonna happen. Crank it down... resolution and all those goodies you want turned on. Less is more here.

Pull the 2 512 sticks, make sure the 1g pc400 is in the right slot, go into the bios and select optimum system settings. see if that helps.

Do you have sli enabled ? You might have to go into nvidia's control panel and enable it.

Hope your not on 56k..........lol

forgot........ wireless will slow you down.......... even when you have the best set up.
January 28, 2008 2:09:41 AM

swifty_morgan said:
If this was April I'd think it was a joke.

Your ram configuration is a laugh. Use the one stick of pc4000. The other thrown in is slowing you down.

The video cards totally blow to begin with, sli or non sli........ sorry to insult you.

Nobody, and I mean nobody should go on line to play any game and expect to play like your sitting in your room playing single player. Ain't gonna happen. Crank it down... resolution and all those goodies you want turned on. Less is more here.

Pull the 2 512 sticks, make sure the 1g pc400 is in the right slot, go into the bios and select optimum system settings. see if that helps.

Do you have sli enabled ? You might have to go into nvidia's control panel and enable it.

Hope your not on 56k..........lol

forgot........ wireless will slow you down.......... even when you have the best set up.

I agree, the memory is what's causing the slow down.

Don't worry about the wireless or anything else. Your video cards were decent for their time but are showing their age. No worries though, if they handle what YOU want them to do then don't upgrade. No sense in it unless you got an uber big display and would like to see BF 2142 in all it's glory.

In the context of what you're saying, yes, theoritically it will slow you down. Theoritical transfer transfer rate of a/b/g is slower than your standard ethernet. However with the theoritical speeds of N, you're incorrect there.
Related resources
January 28, 2008 2:16:23 AM

I would blame your connection. what's your ping times? also, how is windows only detedting the 1 stick? that's odd, I would yank what it isn't detecting.
January 28, 2008 2:27:06 AM

Yes, connection. If it's smooth in single but slow on line then your connection is very poor. Check the ping to the server your playing on. If it's over 200 yep. And packet loss can do the same. And in a multi player game with tons of peeps playing it can and will get really bad.
January 28, 2008 2:36:25 AM

If you have not plugged a 4-pin molex connector into the board in addition to the 4-pin cpu and the main 24-pin atx, you need to. My buddy had the same problem and thats what it was.
Also, definitley experiment with your RAM, and if you cannot get it all to detect in Windows, take the 256 pieces out. Download memtest 86 and let it run overnight.
Disregard all the hype about dual channel and tight timings, your goal needs to be a larger RAM size for that system.
January 28, 2008 2:48:26 AM

nvalhalla said:
I would blame your connection. what's your ping times? also, how is windows only detedting the 1 stick? that's odd, I would yank what it isn't detecting.

Could very easily be bad ram, misconfigured ram (read: wrong slots)

I would imagine that if you have SLI'd video cards you're running 2142 and a decently high resolutions with a lot of high settings... I'd definately say that lack of memory is to blame over wireless connection.

Unless you have terrible Line of Sight to the wireless router you're generally not going to get dinged on the latency. Depending really on what is in the walls you're going through.
January 28, 2008 2:59:07 AM

nvalhalla said:

"Welcome to online gaming", this is what happens when someone shouldn't be hosting the game. I have been online gaming where the lag is so bad and where the pings are so high I wonder if the host has any clue that he/she should not be hosting online games at all. It tough sometimes to find a server that can actually run with a full room of players without any lag.
January 28, 2008 3:01:24 AM

My son used to have a similiar problem on a wireless usb stick. When I hooked him up to a wired ethernet connection the situation went away. I'd also agree on the memory situation. I'd run with just the 1 gb stick, since windows only recognizes it anyway and see if your results change. Otherwise I'd look at your wireless usb connection. You could check and see how it performs, if you moved your computer close to the router and hooked it up to the ethernet connection. This way you'd know if it's your wireless connection or not. If it reacts the same wired or not, you'd know that it is probably the low memory amount.
January 28, 2008 7:59:33 PM

7600 gt in sli = no good for bf 2142 at max settings
January 28, 2008 8:03:21 PM

hope i didnt come off being rude... This game is a performance hog . BTW 2 gigs make the battlefield series shine
January 28, 2008 8:52:21 PM

I used a single 7600 gt for dozens of hours playing Battlefield 2142 and didn't have a problem. I had max setting at 12x10 except for all shadows turned to low (enemies can hide in the shadows). I got around 30-45 frames but it felt really smooth. I did have 3 gigs of ram though. Does this happen to you on all maps? I ask because fighting on the titans is a joke on almost all servers as the graphics really start to lag. If all the maps lag, then I agree your memory is probably to blame.
January 28, 2008 9:12:04 PM

The real bottleneck in any system is the hard drive, because it still has moving parts and that limits things. SSD drives are the future, just not right now.
!