Sign in with
Your question

update: heres the pics to my new build, check it out!

Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2008 1:54:54 AM

http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii230/medjohnson77/

Well here they are, let me know if you check them out and what you think, Thanks guys!

1@ NZXT Alpha Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with open Window $54.99
1@ Rosewill RX750-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 750W power supply $134.99
1@ ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe wireless edition AM2 Nvidia nforce 590 SLI mcp atx amd motherboard $169.99
1@ AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+ Windsor 3.2 GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-core Processor $179.99
1@ arctic silver 5 therma compound 5.99
1@ Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL92 mm 2 ball CPU cooler $29.99 -10.00==$19.99
2@ OCZ Gold 2GB STicks 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800(PC2 6400) $93.00 can go up to 8GB with Mboard.
1@ Seagate Sata/300 Barracuda 3.5" 500GB 16Mb Cache 3Gbs 7200Rpm $120.00
1@ Samsung SH-S203 DVD+R/-R 20x Sata retail ver. with lightsribe $80.00
1@ DYnex internal all in one card reader DX- CRD12 Vista Comp. $16.99
1 soon to be 2@ XFX Geforce8600GT SLI ready 512MB DDR2 540MHz Core Vista certified $118.00
Anonymous
January 22, 2008 11:28:07 AM

what game is that screen shot from ?
Related resources
January 22, 2008 11:56:13 AM

Nice job, nice rig!
A single 8800GT will outperform your SLI's 8600's by a very good margin.

Get some screen door screen, cut 2 circular pieces that fits over your fan, slightly twist one to offset the other. You will be surprised how good this will work as a filter, and will let your fans still move plenty of air.

The filter you have there is going to severely block your airflow. It is made for something that moves a lot of air under a lot force, like a vaccum cleaner. Your case fans will hardly be able to move any air at all through it.
January 22, 2008 2:02:43 PM

jitpublisher said:

Get some screen door screen, cut 2 circular pieces that fits over your fan, slightly twist one to offset the other. You will be surprised how good this will work as a filter, and will let your fans still move plenty of air.

Ya screen works decent without restricting airflow, I'm using it over an intake fan and by the air intake for my PSU. It dosn't pick up much dust thou, just some but I didn't do that offset trick. I also have one of these on an intake http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p... and it works really good but needs to be cleaned weekly and if a computer were in a dusty area I could see it needing daily cleaning.
January 22, 2008 8:39:34 PM

Hey guys, the air filters I put on are from wally world and they do not block air flow hardly at all, they are very thin, static charged and made for air vents in your home regeister so they are very good at allowing air flow, these block out smoke, and pollen so the only real concern is changing them when they get dirty or they will block air flow, 90 days is the time they should be changed, if they were blocking flow then my temps would so that and my temps are steady which you can see in the pics.

That is not a game in the back ground that is my screen background that I uploaded a pic from one of my t-shirts I got in Kentucky. I like it too! Thanks.

I am looking to RMA my 8600GT to newegg, and am looking at the 8600GTS Dimiond series from MSI, it only 256mb of DDR3 and it recieved around 5900 on Benchmark06 but if I run these in SLI it should be pretty good and only run me for SLI $230 after rebates and one nice feature is it has a true HDMI output. Not sure yet, but I might just spend the extra cash and get the new 8800 ultra. Not sure yet, and yes this is going to be a real gaming rig soon, money is tight right now.

Let me know if any of you have info on running a single 8800 or the 8600GTS Dimiond series I am talking about in SLI, benchmarks stuff like that.

Thanks guys.
January 22, 2008 8:42:55 PM

Thanks for the info god size and i might just check into those filters, thanks!
January 22, 2008 9:28:11 PM

If you're going to RMA the 8600GT's, you might want to consider RMA'ing your Rosewill power supply, too. Rosewill is not a good company to be getting power supplies from, as they're not very reliable. For less money than you paid for your psu you can pick up a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610, which would be a HUGE improvement over what you have. In the end, it's your call, but just remember a bad PSU can take an entire computer down with it.

Here's a link to the PCP&C
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
January 22, 2008 9:41:41 PM

hey Chedrz, If you look thru the new build forums you will see my Rate my new build post, and if you go thru it you will find that many want to dog Rosewill just on name alone, I find this very funny. Go to Jonnyguru.com and check out the reviews on the Rosewill X-treme series. My RX-750 tested really well for stable power and the Quality of parts used, as a matter of fact some of the componets used by Rosewill are the same a the PCP&C. Go to the review my model got he Jonnyguru recomendation as a matter of fact, so Dog it if you want but this is a very good power source for the money. The numbers don't lie and the test score are great! thanks for the input though I'll stick with my Rosewill RX-750 cuz it is bad@SS and looks great, and puts out stable power on all rails!
January 22, 2008 10:07:07 PM

What temp does your 64x2 6400 run at idle and under load? I was considering getting one but was not sure if I wanted to run with a 125 Watt chip.

BTW your build looks really nice. Very good PC for a first build.
January 22, 2008 10:08:01 PM

Anonymous said:
what game is that screen shot from ?
YEAH! That is my question too.
January 23, 2008 1:34:13 AM

Hey RWayne, I believe it shows in the pics what the temps are, but I believe its running idle at 30-34C on the cpu, around 36-40C at full load which if i am correct is way less the the threshold. My motherBoard is at 33-36C at Idle. Thats not a game, just my wallpaper.

Thanks for the input
January 23, 2008 2:47:06 AM

Those temps are really good for that hot of a chip. That aftermarket cooler you got is really doing the job.

On another note. The game that I and that other poster "thecompukid" were refering to was the one that akhilles linked on his post.

http://www.gamehelper.com/images/uploads/new/media/imag...

Not your wallpaper
January 23, 2008 4:02:34 AM

OH, I am not sure that is some link that he posted. looks like a cool game, not sure though.LOL And yes the Rosewill CPU cooler is really doing a good job, but I also think the placement of the fans is really good. Three 120mm's two in, one out, 92mm on the cpu cooler and the small what ever it is that ASUS gave with the motherboard. OH yeah and the two 80mm's in the PSU at the top blowing out.
February 3, 2008 9:52:02 PM

Just RMA the 8600GT last week and will be getting the BFG 8800GTS 512Mb G92 tomorrow! Can't wait to see what this baby benchmarks at!
February 3, 2008 11:08:03 PM

Smart Move. You are going to be pleased. BFG is a good company too. That card is going to further help your cooling because of it's dual slot design.

Congrats.

Let us know how you like it once you get it and have a chance to play a few games.
February 3, 2008 11:27:36 PM

I also agree with Chedrz. If you are going to RMA the 8600GT you should go ahead and RMA your Rosewill Power Supply also.

You have a very good processor and a very good Video Card now. Protect your investment and get a quality power supply so your components will not be subject to unsteady current.

The one that Chedrz recommended is a good choice.

Here is one with a littlemore juice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PC Power & Cooling is just about the best you can get. It ain't cheap but it is a quality product.
February 4, 2008 12:01:09 AM

I suspect it's WAY too late for the OP, but maybe someone else can be saved :) 

Why the 6400+, rather than something like an E8400? The 6400+ gets spanked like a naughty schoolgirl, runs hotter, and can't be overclocked nearly as hard (AFAIK, and at least partially based on x-bit labs review http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/intel-wolf...). It is a little cheaper, however.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that some people keep supporting AMD. But for me personally, I'd rather just write them a cheque for $20 each time I buy an Intel CPU to help keep them in business. But that's just my opinion.

Clint
February 4, 2008 12:34:04 AM

Nice set up what size is the TV?

I'll post some oics later this week. My 42" LCD 1080P is comming Thursday. I cant wait.
Anonymous
February 4, 2008 1:35:53 AM

Universe at War, I think is the game RWayne
February 5, 2008 9:54:45 AM

It is a 37 inch OLEVIA 1080i I got about 2 years ago on sale $1465. it is a very nice TV, better then the wally world TVs, most are only 720p for around a grand, but if I would of waited I could of got a 42-47 inch 1080i for the same price, but I am happy with what I got. I just got the new BFG 8800gts 512Mb G92 card last night and it Kicks a@@. I could only get a 11,542 even with OC'in it to 804/1080 I was hoping to get around 12000, but can't seem to get it there. my 6400+ Black runs 33c-45c at load so I would say this is not bad on a air system CNeufeld, I have not even tried to OC it yet but have heard it can OC up- to 3.7 stable, so its good enough for me. I see nothing wrong with it and I can upgrade to the phatom when they get it set up- better. Intel may be faster but this thing is very fast also, and didn't break my wallet to get it. I ll check out your link, thanks for the info.
February 5, 2008 10:01:58 AM

Rwayne why rma a very good PSU, just cuz you don't like Rosewill, doesn't make Any sense at all. Go to Jonnyguru and read the review, as I have said before, this Rx-750watt looks better then any PSU I have seen and it got the Jonnyguru stamp of approval. It is a solid PSU, so It stays. I am very happy with it. There is no unsteady currant that you speak of, the only thing that was said a jonnyguru was that when they cross loaded the 3 and the 5 volt rail, the five volt was still within specs but was alittle high with the ripple. All this means is that you don't buy this PSU for a 5 volt heavey system which would be for a older style computer load on the 5 volt rail. IMHO your saying something bad about this PSU with no facts to back it up, other then you don't like Rosewell. Not very sound advice, IMHO.
February 5, 2008 4:07:37 PM

I agree with you about your PSU medjohnson77. The one you have is rosewills top of the line which may not be as good as some other brands top of the line but it is still a good PSU. People just have this mindset to avoid all rosewill PSUs regardless if it's a decent one or not and don't even bother looking into anything else other than the tier list which hasn't been updated for along time.

With my new build people strongly advised against the Antec Earhwatts EA380 I purchased because they said it would be to underpowered for my system and I should be getting at least a 500w unit. I got the EA380 for $20 after rebates and sales and it powers my current system just fine with a single HD, single DvD burner, 4000 brisbane OCed to 2.8GHz stable, 2 x 1GB ram increased from 1.8v too 2.2v to stable my CPU and memory OC, and a HIS 3850 IceQ with a mild OC. I'm right around 300w on most PSU calculators with the OC so I even have that little extra juice needed so its not running at full load. I am happy with my PSU and I am glad you are with yours ;)  .
February 5, 2008 9:29:18 PM

Thanks GodSizeSnakeEyes,

I just replaced my old PSU in my Emachine and It is same as yours just a 430 I think. Seems to be a very good power source. It was 69 on sale and only 29 after rebate so, it was a good deal.

As far as the RX-750 goes it might not be the best, but some of these people who keep knocking it then pasting a newegg part number for a new one, which alot have recommended Pc&C PSU 850 I think, which is a very good PSU, but whats funny is that the RX-750 has some of the same parts as the PC&C, but yet they knock it just cuz Rosewill slapped there name on it. I wish i could over clock my cpu alittle, tried to figure it out last night, but wasn't really happy with what I saw. Thanks for the sane response GOD.
!