Sign in with
Your question

Question about hooking up my cables from PSU?

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2008 5:54:05 PM

Hi everyone. I'm building my first computer - w00t! All my parts have arrived and although I ordered the Gigabyte P35-DS3R ClubIt sent me the P35-DS3L. After checking both of these boards on the Gigabyte site I decided to keep the DS3L, because the only thing the DS3R offers is RAID and more SATA ports. I'll never use RAID and I can always get more SATA (I'm sure they sell PCI cards somewhere for that).

Anyway, I'm starting to assemble everything in the case, but now I have some questions. My PSU is a PCP&C Silencer 610. I have it installed in my Ultra m998 case, but I'm a little confused about all these cables. I want to make sure I'm hooking everything up correctly, so I have some pictures to help illustrate what I'm asking.

Now I take it these are all the power connectors? The 4-pin ATX 12V, and the 24-pin main mobo power. I believe one is for CPU but not sure what the other is for?

Ok, now in this photo I have one of the SATA cables from the PSU plugged into my HD. There are three SATA plugs on this cable and I have the first one plugged into the drive. I take it the other two are for more HDs?

Same thing only this time I've used the other SATA cable from the PSU to hook up to my Lite-On SATA DVD burner. Is this correct?

I appreciate any help or advice you can give. Thanks.
February 5, 2008 6:12:08 PM

Quote:
Now I take it these are all the power connectors? The 4-pin ATX 12V, and the 24-pin main mobo power. I believe one is for CPU but not sure what the other is for?

24-pin = Motherboard
4-pin = CPU
8-pin = Other CPU (Some boards offer an 8-pin port instead of the standard 4-pins)
*edit* I'm also not sure if that 8 pin connector works on the 8-pin GPU connector slots on some of the newer cards.

Quote:
Ok, now in this photo I have one of the SATA cables from the PSU plugged into my HD. There are three SATA plugs on this cable and I have the first one plugged into the drive. I take it the other two are for more HDs?
They will work on any additional SATA devices. Although, hooking them primarily to HDD's will provde better organization... it doesn't do much beyond that.

Quote:
I appreciate any help or advice you can give. Thanks.

You've got everything covered. Just make sure that if you have any raptor drives that you DO NOT hook up both SATA and molex power to it. That would be very bad.

Oh yes, and don't forget to plug in the 4-pin CPU power at the end. I don't want to see another post about no video signal from your GPU. :p 
February 5, 2008 6:19:53 PM

rgeist554, thanks for the reply. So 4-pin (CPU) and 24-pin (mobo) and the other two are most likely power connectors for video cards.

It's ok to hook the other SATA cable coming from the PSU to the Lite-On drive? I figure to keep all device drives on one cable and all HDs on the other cable. I don't see I'll ever have more than three of each anyway.

Now the PCI-E cables are for hooking up to video cards, correct? My video card has no such hook ups.
Related resources
a c 142 ) Power supply
February 5, 2008 6:57:56 PM

For cable neatness, you can connect all the sata devices to one cable if you want. The silencer610 has a single rail, so it does not matter.

The six pin plugs are for vga cards like the 8800gtx(2 plugs) or gts(one plug) If your vga card does not need the extra power,It will not have extra power sockets, it will get what it needs from the pci-e slot.

You should get something back from clubit. The DS3L costs about $30 less than the DS3R. The DS3R also has 8 usb ports on the back vs 6 which you might want.
February 5, 2008 7:33:44 PM

geofelt, thanks for your reply. The ClubIt experience just keeps getting better. The customer service guy called me back five times asking me to read just about every number on the box back to him. Finally he tells me they cannot let me keep the board because they have no record of ever sending it to me! Then he tells me they do not have a DS3R in stock. So I told him I want the refund - of the price I paid for the DS3R (not the DS3L) - and the shipping. He agrees to refund both the board price and the shipping and I tell him I will take the package to the post office today if he can get me that shipping label soon.

So I wait and wait and finally he calls me back and asks if I've received the return shipping label yet. I say no. He says I should have it. I tell him, well, I don't. Ok, sorry sir, I will send it again. So after all these phone calls he finally tells me I need to take the package to a FedEx office. Uh, hello? FedEx? Didn't I say I was taking it to the post office? Sorry, sir, but it has to go to a FedEx station. Uh, ok, then you probably should have told me that in the first place, don't you think? Sorry sir, I do apologize.

Well, they're definitely sorry, that's for sure. I will definitely not be doing business with these people again. I checked the other things I got from them to make sure they were what I ordered. I can only hope they work.

I think this time I'll go to Newegg.
February 5, 2008 7:57:03 PM

He he, this has probably been one of the dumbest groups of people I've ever dealt with. The first guy assured me twice he sent me a return shipping label that I would get in my email in ten minutes - that was an hour ago. I called again and I get some guy who I can hardly understand and he hasn't a clue what I'm talking about, so he goes and gets a manager and together they decide - hey, we should send you another return shipping label! You think ...

My God, and these guys are in charge of shipping out computer parts?
February 5, 2008 8:00:53 PM

Quote:
Finally he tells me they cannot let me keep the board because they have no record of ever sending it to me!
If they have no record that they sent it to you, then how do they know that you actually received it? All you know is that you need your GA-P35-DS3R. :D 

At least that's what you could do if you wanted a free board... lol. >_<
February 5, 2008 8:05:42 PM

LOL, yeah, but these people scare me. Well, I guess I'll go look for another mobo on Newegg.
February 5, 2008 8:21:49 PM

I wouldnt send it back. If they dont have a record of sending it they probably dont have a record of you paying for it and will not refund you.

If they do have of a record of payment tell them you never got it and get another board. Lol.
February 5, 2008 8:36:12 PM

After all of that, the guy calls me again and I tell him I still haven't received the shipping label so he puts me on a three-way call with a FedEx representative. He asks the gal if she will send me a return shipping label and she hasn't a clue what he is asking, so then I chime in and say, "Isn't that something that ClubIt should provide, not FedEx?" And the woman tells me I'm right and the ClubIt guy gets all flustered because he's a complete moron and hasn't a clue. Finally this nice lady from FedEx arranges a package pick up right from my front door and says I don't have to do anything but hand over the package.

I then tell this clueless moron from ClubIt to refund my money now, since he has it straight from the FedEx gal that the package is being returned. He says yes sir right away.

Aiye ....
!