Sign in with
Your question

Building 2 New Systems. Please help.

Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2008 5:56:11 AM

First I wish to thank ever one in advance. I have been
reading the forums for a few weeks now and have
gathered a lot of good info.

This will be my first new system build, actually my first and second.
I am planning on building two pretty much identical systems.
I would like the two systems to be well rounded. I wish to be able
to multitask, play games, watch TV, spreadsheets, word processing,
programming, etc, etc....

I myself love to tinker with things and plan on learning to over clock.

Below is what I have come up with over the last few weeks.
I am looking for any and all suggestions or alternatives.

With a monitor and a few other accessories what is listed below prices
out really close to what my budget will be. I am shooting for about $3000 plus
or minus for both systems.

If I can trim a little here and there without
sacrificing performance or potential I can get a nicer monitor or some other accessories.

Heres is what I have so far.

Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I would very much appreciate some other suggestions, possibly something without
a front door and more front USB connections.

Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240

Is this PSU overkill? Is it modular or again do I care?

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

Will I automatically receive a processor with g0 stepping or do I really care? Do
I need to purchase a better CPU cooler?

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Super clocked 512MB
256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

I know that there are several flavors of the GeForce 8800GT some harder to
find then others. Which one do I want?

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM
16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL
20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM
48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Thanks again.

More about : building systems

January 22, 2008 6:53:43 AM

I think you have made so good choices here It will be a very good ALL ALL round system. Firstly the antec case is very good case for the price but maybe consider a Full tower case for extra space this space provides better organization of cables and components provides better airflow and more ports for fans etc this would be a good benefit to you if you are considering overclocking,

Power supply will be fine not over kill, Its good encase you want more HDD or Bigger Graphics card but with your system you will need at least a 550W/600W So you are good there.

Motherboard seems fine maybe see if there is a model up from this one with 2x Pci-e Just for upgrade options to sli.

Processor is very good, this model is more revised and runs with less power and is able to run at higher temperature to its earlier one by 11 degrees celcuis i believe correct me if i am wrong :)  this will aid you in overclocking. lso if you are over clocking you WILL need a better cooler maybe a ZALMAN they have a good range also cooler master i have a GEMINII that i am very happy with.

Ram seems good 4gb is a big over kill at the moment, maybe go for the crucial ram or cursair ram

Graphics card is fine its a good choice

HDD is good

Writer is good

Vista is good maybe consider Dual booting with XP for older programs but its not that crucial... If you do do that then partition your drive into three at LEAST 20GB to vista and 10GB to XP. then the rest will be to your programs this has many benefits.

Hope this helps.

greetz South Africa
January 22, 2008 11:00:38 AM

The psu is semi-overkill if you don't upgrade the cpu/gpu at all in the future. I'm sure you will.

No, you don't get G0 unless you look/ask for it. Neweggs don't. G0 can take more heat so it can overclock higher than non-G0.

Get the 8800GT for around $250. The rest are overpriced. For $300, you can get a GTS512 after rebate.
Related resources
January 23, 2008 4:19:16 AM

This is great. Where else can you get expert advice for free. Thanks all for your input. I will post another update after considering all of your suggestions. If anyone has any input on an LCD monitor 22" to 24" I would love to here from you.
January 23, 2008 7:50:21 AM

24" Is very big the 22" i find is perfect size but it depends on your preference. Go for Samsung or for BENQ both provide in my opinion good proformance and value samsung esp. if you are gaming get a 2ms response one its worth the extra.
January 23, 2008 11:29:15 AM

I think you should get the GTS512 or better yet ATI HD3870 X2 (faster & cheaper than ULTRA) for 22" - 24" resolutions if you want to max things out in games.
January 23, 2008 5:03:22 PM

Stick with Nvida hey they are way more powerful then later on you can Sli them. But all you need is that GTS512 or GT512 for now. As much as i wanna support ATi they aren't as powerful. So stick with nvidia the resolutions are very good and the quality of graphics top notch!
!