Need some old school advice for a new mobo or dump

colomboheritage

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
I built my computer about 2 years ago and it was my first build. I did very badly and i want to redo my build keeping my processor (intel pentium 4 with HT 3.0 ghz prescot edition socket 478). My mobo is an D865PERL. It sucks balls. It offers 4 DIMM DDR slots!! and one AGP slot!!! No Fan Control!!!! No Overclocking!!! I would like to have a DDR2 and PCI express MOBO that will be excellent for gaming, allow overclocking, and will allow a custom CPU fan attachement.... Oh yeah dont forget the budget, around $100. Your suggestions will help me out greatly! Also if you think i should toss my processor too, please feel free to let me knwo why. Thanks again!

Very few pci-e boards for socket 478, and priced high when you can find one. Your budget won't allow for ddr2 or pci-e. I would save some more until you can afford an Intel 21xx or am2 upgrade with ddr2. You'll need about $200 for the board, cpu, and 2 gigs of memory.

Trying to overclock that already hot running HT'd P4 is a waste of time.
You'd need to invest in some very good cooling to get anywhere. By the time you do that, upgrading what you have is a complete waste of money for the results you will get.

You need a new motherboard, processor and memory.
Like above poster mentioned, wait until you can scrape up around $200 and you can really do a great upgrade that simply blow away what you have now, and allow room for future upgrading as well.

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Both replys are leaving something very important out. Your vidio card.If you change to a new PCI-e mobo,your going to also need a new vidio card. And your also not going to get very much performance wise for $200. If he buys a new board and memory,how much is he going to have left over for a decent processor,and once again, a vidio card. $500-$600 would cover it.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138079R $50 if your not scared of open box. $65 for new product, youll have to pick up some DDR2 RAM and PCI-e video if you dont already have them. Im thinking bout grabing one of these boards for an old Dell I have so I can drop my 8600GTS in and play with my P4 3.0Ghz.

I agree that you should probably just hold off untill you can get a deal on a nice 775 board and an E2xxx chip, that will give you a real overclock. If your doing this like I am just to extend the P4, not use it as a primary, this board is a good choice, but if its gonna be your main system, look to the future my friend, your P4 will not cut it.