Last response: in Motherboards
March 2, 2008 3:51:33 AM

My rig:
MSI P6N SLI-FI
2x 2x1024Mb G.Skill 800mhz RAM
E6750
EVGA 8800 GTS 640Mb
Windows Vista 64-bit Home Basic OEM

So, ever since I built this computer on my own, I've had zero problems - until today.

I installed another 2Gb of RAM, identical to the ones I previously had installed (both sets are dual channel DIMM)

Vista does nothing but freeze now while running with 4gb. I downloaded the hotfix 929777 or whichever, and it didn't help. I've seen people mention that the memory speed needs to be lowered to 667 in the BIOS, but I haven't been able to do that. Been working on this for hours looking for help on forums and trying to fix it myself... is there anyone out there who can shed some much welcomed insight on the problem?

Btw: Both the BIOS and Vista identify the 4gb of RAM. I also ran memory tests to see if it was faulty, to no avail.

EDIT: SLI-FI not just SLI
March 2, 2008 5:37:10 PM

Up your voltage a tad on the memory. Find out what it's rated for first though. On my board I needed to up the northbridge voltage to 1.45 to be stable with 4 sticks of memory.
March 3, 2008 2:52:25 AM

Thank you for the reply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That is my RAM. My memory voltage is apparently a min of 1.8, max of 2.8,
and the memory itself shows a voltage of 1.8-2.0V.

I tried running with 1.45V minimum on NB and it didn't work. Still froze up.

The timings are 5-5-5-15. I tried setting these manually also, but I still freeze up.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

^ There is my board.

Any suggestions?
Related resources
March 3, 2008 11:29:07 AM

Would I need to flash my BIOS? If so, how would I go about it?
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2008 11:31:32 AM

Quote:
That is my RAM. My memory voltage is apparently a min of 1.8, max of 2.8,
and the memory itself shows a voltage of 1.8-2.0V.

I tried running with 1.45V minimum on NB and it didn't work. Still froze up.

NorthBridge =/= Memory Please ensure your MEMORY voltages are set correctly.
March 4, 2008 11:22:35 AM

Try reading what you quoted... I said my MEMORY voltages are between 1.8-2.8V and the RAM runs at 1.8-2.0V, meaning it is WITHIN the proper range.
a b V Motherboard
March 4, 2008 12:47:08 PM

Try doing what's already been suggested: Increase the voltage to your RAM to higher up within the specified range.
March 10, 2008 3:05:58 PM

try updating your bios, and increasing the ram voltage. i needed to bring my ram voltage up to 2.1 b4 i was stable enough to get prime95 running with errors.
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2008 1:20:06 PM

I would definitely make sure to update the BIOS. I had a problem with my p6n Diamond doing something similar until I updated my BIOS.

You can update the BIOS in a few different ways. You can either update it by making a DOS boot disk and updating that way (I prefer this method), or you can use their update utility - through your OS (which I hear is a little unstable).

So, if you have a floppy drive, do it that way (you can get one for $5-6) or you can use an external floppy.

If you can't access it that way, I guess you can do it through their update utility through the OS.

Good luck

May 16, 2008 3:12:15 AM

Also check to make sure you try to tweak the VVT to 2%, then 4%, then 6%.

I have this board and I'm runing Bios 2.5 from MSI's site. I haven't had a hitch.

A note: I have Corsair XMS2-cl4 mem x 4 for 4 gigs, at stock everything I didn't have to touch voltages at all. Even when I pushed the CPU to 2.9 I still had stock voltages. @ 3.44 though I had to bump 3 settings, including the vvt.

I hope this helps

MicroSSG
!