high-budget system build-Q6600-maximus extreme-gf8800gt

omermaras

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Hi folks,

I need you opinion on my (first) self-built system:

Here's my rig :

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz 8 MB L2 cache 775
VGA Card: Geforce 8800 GT 512 MB - Gigabyte or ASUS (which one would you recommend??)
Motherboard : Asus Maximus Extreme - (I plan to use 2GB DDR3, and later add more - should I get some other mobo??)
Memory : Kingston KHX14400D3K2-2G Kingston 2GB 1800MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL8 (8-8-8-24) D
HD1 : Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache
HD2 : Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache
DVD-Writer: I have an IDE on my old PC - can I use this on the IDE of ASUS maximus extreme?? or should I get a SATA DVD-Writer (if I should, I'd prefer ASUS, or maybe LG - what would you suggest??)

For the following I need your suggestions:

I'm not planning to use water cooling, and overclocking would be a small possibility.. so which of the following, and what should I get:

Case : ??? I have no idea... What would you recommend, if possible mini or midi. I'd like to have the fan on the front and then left, as the PC will have a wall on its right side. And earplug socket and usb on the front would also be fine.
Cooler: Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro (or, does one come with the case you suggest, and I don't need to add any cooler??)
Power supply : ??? I have no idea...

The price ranges change a lot for cases and power supplies. What I'm looking for is something decent, which won't cause problems, which is very silent (I'm not planning to, but might overclock in the future), and possibly not too expensive. Please do suggest "the XXX is the best, but you can also have the YYY, in which case you would be deprived of ZZZ" etc...

In addition to this... do I need anything else?? cables etc. come with their respective products, right?? I have read something about thermal insulation paste, but would prefer keeping the original past on the case/cooler or where ever it is, than make my fingers sticky applying it (am very awkward with such hand work).

any help appreciated. many thanks in advance..

o.m.

valorean

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Well i dont know about Micro or MidSize Cases. Ive never liked them they dont leave alot of room for Exspansion. I spent some time looking at cases for the new PC im Building and I have decided on

CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 ATX Full-Tower Case $179.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3235568&CatId=1510

Tower deosnt have a single reveiw below 5.0 and i like the way the power supply sits at the bottom and serperated from the Mobo.

Forester30

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I just built with an Antec Nine Hundred and it looks really awesome with the lights off, light blue LED's inside and a clear plastic side panel so you can see inside. If it's your first build (as was this one for me) I recommend getting a larger case than mini so you have plenty of room to work with, I know that was a major issue on my first build. Especially if you're getting one of the newer 8800 GT video cards, some of them can be pretty long. Good luck!