Success on my first build!

Forester30

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I want to say thank you to all of you for helping me with my first build! It was successful and only took...erm....30 hours to build, but probably would have taken much longer if not for this forum and your quick responses. I now am the proud owner of an Antec Nine Hundred gaming case, Intel q6600 Quad 2.4 Ghz processor (soon to be o/c'd to 3.0ghz), 768MB DDR3 MSI Nvidia 8800 GTX, 750 GB Seagate 7,200 RPM, 150 GB WD Raptor 10,000 RPM, LITE-ON 20x DVD burner w/Light Scribe, Corsair 520 W power supply running Windows Vista Ultimate.

Thanks again and I hope this thing lasts for years to come, as I don't think I can build a computer but that often!

G

Wait 6 months. You'll be itching to find an excuse to build again!

xanadu

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Lol @ deuce271.

Congratz on the build Forester30. I am also waiting to build one - so I can relate 2 ur joy. May I ask - were u experienced in computer hardware or were u a newbie?

To paraphrase a Lay's potato chip commercial, "Betcha can't build just one."

Congratulations. And you missed - fortunately - one of the great defining moments (defined as "Aw, sh*t!") of PC construction when you push the button ... and nothing happens except a line of Star Trek dialogue goes through your mind: McCoy to Kirk, "It's dead, Jim."

Xanadu:
We get a lot of newbie first builds here. Go for it.

And remember, we were all noobs at one time. Some of us just have a bigger headstart than others.

Forester30

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Xandu:

I was a noob, all I had done previously was install a video card and some RAM in my prebuilt desktop. I got to the point where I saw some cool parts and decided to take the plunge. It will, most likely, be a lot more difficult than you think going in, and you'll swear and throw many, many things, but in the end its worth it.

One suggestion, make sure to do your research ahead of time and that everything is compatible, and get a large case, mine is on the higher end of the mid tower sizes and it was still cramped! And, when you get your items, post them here and ask for input, you never know something small you overlooked could bite you later andt it takes a long time to ship/reship the corrected part.

JSC:

Actually I did have that moment, the only thing to happen when I hooked everything up was two red lights on my MOBO. I thought, "Now this can't be good...." (Turns out the second red light was my Clear CMOS switch was flipped to ON in the back of the unit, found this was the cause of the red LED light 5 hours later after much troubleshooting. Funny how something so small can cause big headaches)

Wolfshadw

Titan
WOOT!!!!
Grats on the build!

Now don't tell any family members you did it yourself or the next thing you know, you'll be asked to fix your mother's brother's uncle's nephew twice removed friend's computer!

-Wolf sends

paprocto

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Agree with Forester ... if you're planning your first build be sure to ask for input on the forum. I did, and it saved me a couple of really big headaches.

xanadu

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Thanx 4 the support.

I already have a 4 page thread on suggestions, compatibility and how to-s. I have mostly streamlined my choices but am dawdling on the case. Though Antec -900 is a choice.iN my thread I have also been posting pics of parts I have bought. So far, the put up the keyboard + mouse. The PSU is on order. The bulk of the other stuff will b in abt 3 weeks when prices r expected to take a plunge. Already some prices have gone down.

xanadu

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Can u guys suggest if the corsair vx-450w is compatible with c2d intel/AMD?
IS this psu sufficient for 2 GB ram, hd 3850 512 mb and amd x2 5600+/Intel e4500?

Thanks.