Sign in with
Your question

Strange reboot / restart problem in CoD4 (Call of Duty 4), plz help!!

Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2008 10:05:15 AM

Hi,

I have searched the net for a solution to my problem and have found some people having the same problem but no solutions.

The problem I have is that when starting a new game in CoD4 my computer restarts as soon as the loading has finished in the intro sequence. If I lower the resolution one step however it works. If I after this successful loading go to the options and chose the higher resolution again and reload the game everything will load from memory this time but still the computer will restart as soon as the loading is finished. The difference in this case is then because the loading is from memory it will restart sooner into the introduction sequence then before.

Anyone know what is the problem.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 (Conroe)
MB: ASUS P5K
Memory: Kingston HyperX 1066MHz KHX8500D2K2
Graphic Card: Leadtek Geforce 8800 GTX TDH
Power supply: Hiper Typer-R HPU-4S730 (730 watt)

I have tried to force the fan of the graphic card go 100%.

I have tried to uninstall the drivers with drive cleaner and install again.

I have tried various settings in the MB bios.

I have updated all drivers and bios.

plz help!!!
January 22, 2008 11:02:32 AM

PSU, if it is not buggy video drivers.

Let me guess. The problem only appears during heavy system load (gaming, in other words). If you are surfing the 'net, word processing, or anything similar, your system is fine.

I suspect that your PSU is shutting down under heavy load. This will force a CPU reset/reboot cycle. It's not a matter of the capacity of your PSU, but its quality.

Check this:
http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings

and don't go lower than third tier.
January 22, 2008 11:22:34 AM

First thing to do is if you have it, get rid of nTune, it wreaks havoc on a system.
Update your drivers. nVidia has come out with very good drivers in just the last few Weeks so if you have drivers that are say a Month old, they just might be the culprit.
The biggest problems have had to do with nTune though.
I had the same issues and after taking it out things really calmed down.
I hope nVidia works the bugs out of nTune because it's a great utility, just too buggy.

Other than that you could try updating your BIOS. I've also heard that the utility that Asus uses can be buggy at Times too so you might try taking it out as well to see if it might be causing you problems.

Your PSU looks like it has enough power but if you keep having this problem you might look into swaping PSU's if you have an extra or a Friend that would be willing to loan you one for troubleshooting.

Try un-plugging all the PSU plugs and plugging them back in, making sure they're in good. Most Times it's the smallest things we overlook when building a Rig that causes the most Headaches.

One other thing. have you tried re-setting your BIOS to default? It might be that you've inadvertantly changed some settings that could contribute to the problem. Just a thought.

Hope you get things working.
Related resources
January 22, 2008 8:46:30 PM

jsc said:

Let me guess. The problem only appears during heavy system load (gaming, in other words). If you are surfing the 'net, word processing, or anything similar, your system is fine.

I suspect that your PSU is shutting down under heavy load. This will force a CPU reset/reboot cycle. It's not a matter of the capacity of your PSU, but its quality.

Check this:

Thanks a lot for your answer. I really thought that Hiper was a high quality PSU because it wasn´t cheap and it really looks like quality too me. The thing is though that the specific restart in CoD4 is not under heavy load and in the exact moment that the harddrive / memory stops loading. The graphics card is connected with two dedicated power lines from the PSU with the right connector and everything. See my other findings futher down the text.

kentuckyranger said:
First thing to do is if you have it, get rid of nTune, it wreaks havoc on a system.
Update your drivers. nVidia has come out with very good drivers in just the last few Weeks so if you have drivers that are say a Month old, they just might be the culprit.
The biggest problems have had to do with nTune though.
I had the same issues and after taking it out things really calmed down.
I hope nVidia works the bugs out of nTune because it's a great utility, just too buggy.

Other than that you could try updating your BIOS. I've also heard that the utility that Asus uses can be buggy at Times too so you might try taking it out as well to see if it might be causing you problems.

Your PSU looks like it has enough power but if you keep having this problem you might look into swaping PSU's if you have an extra or a Friend that would be willing to loan you one for troubleshooting.

Try un-plugging all the PSU plugs and plugging them back in, making sure they're in good. Most Times it's the smallest things we overlook when building a Rig that causes the most Headaches.

One other thing. have you tried re-setting your BIOS to default? It might be that you've inadvertantly changed some settings that could contribute to the problem. Just a thought.

Hope you get things working.

Thanks a lot. If nTune is the program in the lower right corner it didn´t do the trick. I have all the latest BIOS for MB and graphics card. The settings in BIOS are also set to default.

Another finding is that the P5K doesn´t supports the PC8500 memories only PC5300 and PC6400 even though the manual says it does if you change the DRAM frequency manually in BIOS (wierd). Can it be the memories that hangs the computer. I mean they are faster than they should so they should manage to run in 800MHz also. Don´t they?

Again thanks for all your help.
January 23, 2008 8:54:28 AM

jsc said:

Check this:

Hi again, I checked the source (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...) of the listing you give to me. It was updated with newer PSU and to my relif the Hiper Type-R is Tier 2. It shoud do the work then i guess.
January 24, 2008 11:14:34 AM

I replaced the memory modules with others that should be compatible with the motherboard and now the readings in CPU-z and Sisoft Sandra is ok. Any other thought about what can be wrong?
January 24, 2008 5:12:38 PM

Also did a clean install of windows. Installed the newest video drivers from nvidia, sound drivers from asus and directx 9.0c. I can´t understand whats wrong.
January 24, 2008 5:17:29 PM

Had a similar problem, tried everything and finally nailed it down to the Anti Virus software (AVG)- Don't know why but if I stopped the system scan when it loaded then I got the same problem. I restarted the scan on loadup and hey presto everything worked.
January 24, 2008 6:32:51 PM

Actually i suspected the anti virus software but now it's a clean install and I haven't installed any anti virus software yet so i guess it can´t be that. Thanks a lot for your input anyway.
January 24, 2008 7:48:09 PM

Have you tried setting the COD4 executable for core affinity to only one of your CPU cores? Have you run extensive Memtest86+ memory testing and a CPU test, such as StressPrime95?
January 25, 2008 3:26:40 AM

OK. I went back and checked and specific models of Hiper PSU's ARE separated by models in the list. Also updated the link.

Two more suggestions:
1. If you are using 4 memory sticks, remove two. Some motherboards that work fine with 2 sticks get fussy with four.
2. Check for thermal problems including an improperly installed HSF, especially if using one with push pins such as the
stock Intel or AC Freezer 7 Pro HSF's.

My Box #1 (a year old now) is built in a kind of cramped medium sized hand me down case. (It's hard to get good cases here.) Extensive testing indicated that, with the PC on its right side and the left cover (now the top) off, the overall temps dropped about 5 deg. C. Clearly, I am not moving enough air through the case. Try that. If your PC runs better, your problem could be thermally related.

I think that these two things are not likely causes of your problem, but they do meet three of the priniples of troubleshooting:
1. Either one COULD cause your problem.
2. According to previous posts, they haven't been checked.
3. And it won't cost you any money to check.

1775428,3,309870 said:
quotemsg]

And it is time to look at your PSU. Unfortunately, if you cannot borrow one, it's not going to be cost free.

I really hate intermittent and "It's almost working." problems. And I do this for a living - not PC's, bigger stuff. Give me a dead system anytime.
January 25, 2008 4:41:00 AM

Jim: No, I haven't tried with only one core. How do I do that? I have done a lot of mem testing and even repaced the memories with new ones that are certain to be compatible to the motherboard.

jsc: Memories have been tested in every possible way. My cpu fan is the one that came with the cpu. All the temperatures is stable even under heavy burn in tests so I don't think it´s a over heating problem really. And for the PSU, I can´t reallt belive that a PSU that cost double as much as the motherboard wouldn´t be up for the task of a single 8800GTX.

Thanks a lot for the help.
January 25, 2008 1:32:19 PM

I finally nailed it!!!

It was the integrated sound of the motherboard that didn´t like cod4 (or vice versa). I have seen others have problem with this. The latest driver was the cure for them but it didn´t work for me. So, I installed a seperate sound card and it worked. I never seen this problem before so I am a little curious about what makes cod4 so special.

Again, thanks for everyones help. It got me thinking and helpt sorting out non-faulty parts. See you all soon....
January 25, 2008 2:27:33 PM

Just so you know I have the same exact problem. I replaced my PSU with this one (OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ) 2 days ago and it fixed my problem. When a game kicked the video card into overdrive, it started sucking too much power off of my old crappy PSU. Funny thing was if I put the resolution down with no shadowing, low textures, etc, the game played fine (except for hurting my eyes :) . I would still keep an eye on it. I am no guru by any means, but the problem was identical to mine.
January 25, 2008 9:34:42 PM

I'm having the same exact problem as well, and mine happens in 3Dmark06 as well as COD4. I just upgraded from an Antec Smartpower 450 to a Truepower Quattro 850, so I'm hoping that's going to fix the problem.. Haven't been running OC'ed when it restarts, and I can run other games fine with no problems, but the load of the other games doesn't compare to COD4 at all really.. I'll check back later after I install this psu and see if that fixed my issue. I think it also reset me in Stalker as well..
January 29, 2008 7:53:31 PM

Indeed swapping the power supply worked. I Can run all the games I have as well as benchmarks without any restarts now..
August 3, 2008 8:35:06 PM

Hey guys

Yo guys im new here Lol funny im having the same problem but instead of it doing it on JUST cod4 its doing it on Diablo 2 ...weird huhh..but it does it in
to like 3 to 4 mins into the game ...like allmost when i get into some action it emidiatly reboots my comp..i spelled that wrong :p 

But yea also compared to your guys psu mine is weak! lol i have a 430 watt antec earthwatts one and it restarts on cod4 and diablo2
but the game i can play all day and not have a restart is WoW ..i dont get it...and run like 60 frames ..ohh and dungeon seige 2

But thats weird..maybe i should get the latest drivers for my onboard sound alsoo..that is so funny ive never ever even heard of somthing like that
but i think imma get that 850 watt quattro that nuggz was talkin about but if you guys have any ideas to fix the prob i would love to hear them.

!