Sign in with
Your question

8800 GTS 512 OC better than 8800 GTX OC2??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2008 11:47:37 AM

hey...I'm new to this whole tuning up your pc thing here. basically I'm looking to get a new graphics card and its come down the GTX and the new G92 GTS 512mb...which seems to be a common question these days. However, all the reviews and such that I've read have the GTS being close with the GTX until a certain resolution (1920x1200 I think). Problem for me is I have a 24" monitor so I'm stuck on that. But in all the comparisons I've seen it is a stock GTX and in some cases the OC GTS...

My real question is about the comparison of the 8800 GTS 512 OC and the 8800 GTX OC/OC2....(BFG for both). Strictly speaking that GTX (OC or OC2) should smack the GTS right? I've read really good things about the GTS and quite like the idea of getting one but I am able to get up to a GTX OC...maybe even the OC2. What do you reckon the best way would be to go? I know the GTS is faster in some categories, even with the GTX OC2....it also has lower power consumption which is nice. I'm really stuck which card to get. The main game I'm looking to play is Crysis at the moment....Thanks for any help anyone can offer me!!
January 28, 2008 11:52:47 AM

If you are willing to spend the money for a GTX OC2, but the 3870X2, it performs a little better than the Ultra and it's pretty cheap. Plus it's very overlclockable.
January 28, 2008 12:10:08 PM

I don't know what the rest of your system is like, but my system is in my sig, and the GTS 512 does pretty well with Crysis. I get 30-35 fps most of the time on high at 1680x1050. If I were to do it again though, I'd give the 3870X2 a serious look.

Hope this helps.
!