Advice and recommendations please (Mobo & Ram)

freols

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Hello :)

I have found myself lost in a sea of RAM and Mobos, I know what I want from them, but can't for the life of me work out which products will satisfy my needs and be compataible with the rest of my kit.

The shopping list so far is as follows:

- Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz S775

- Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 PCIE Dual DVI 700/1.9

- Seagate Barracuda 7200.1 500GB 7200RPM S300 32MB

- Corsair Memory 550W VX PSU

I am after a motherboard that will happily accept all the above stuff. I am not too fussed about SLi functionality.

I am after about 4gb of memory, I don't want them to bottle neck anything and don't want to have to upgrade them for a couple of years (I don't want anything that will become obsolete.

I've tried reading all the guides, including those on DDR3 RAM, but I am still baffled when it comes to picking motherboards and RAM these days. I can't even remember how I chose them last time around :(

Anyways, any advice would be warmly received. Thanks a lot.

beurling

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
all you gotta do is go to a website like newegg or ncix.com and punch in LGA 775 motherboard, and pick on of the top 5 use rated boards... usually it's a gigabyte or asus board like the maximus or DS3L. A lot of boards are compatible with the Q6600.

For memory i would recommend getting a DDR2-800 2x2gb kit of either G-Skill memory, corsair, or Mushkin.... Just go with whatever is the best deal... in the future you can buy another kit for 8 gb of memory.