Sign in with
Your question

Time outs/high pings

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
September 18, 2008 12:49:01 PM

This is a problem I dont understand. Whenever I ping servers around my city I receive the odd timeout or high ping every 15secs or so of pinging. Also my browsing sometimes seems to be affected by it in that it freezes and i need to click a link 2-3 times before it goes forward. I have tried to switch my DNS settings to those of OPEN DNS with no result. I should mention that I have a 20m lan cable. Any chance this might create packet loss? What is usually the main reason behind such a problem?

More about : time outs high pings

September 18, 2008 4:22:30 PM

try a tracert. I'm guessing that some of the routes where the data is getting sent are always full, causing dropped packets.
September 19, 2008 7:21:26 PM

+1 to tracert. That will show you where you're getting latency issues.
Related resources
September 21, 2008 5:04:15 PM

Am doing tracert but it doesn't help. The tracert is fine but the problem is when I ping other sites. Am using an application which results in many clients being connected to me and leeching me(not p2p). Even though they never use over 10% of my upload bandwitch my modem begins to struggle. When I disconnect my clients its all fine. So basically it seems to be a modem issue. Is there any DOS command that I can try to see how much data/packets the modem can handle?
August 13, 2013 7:26:41 AM

The problem (which I have chased for years) is related to some sort of timing failure with the TCP/IP protocols..

The following seems to clear it up normally: (slight variation for Windows 2000, 8)

open an Administrator command prompt (press Windows key, type CMD and hold left Ctrl, left Shift and press enter, answer Yes)

type in the following commands: (Make note of your TCP/IP address and settings first if static.)

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
ARP -D
GPUPDATE /FORCE
​NETSH INT IP RESET NULL
NETSH WINSOCK RESET
shutdown -r -t 0 -f
First, we clear DNS cache (important, and helpful)

Second, we clear ARP entries. (arp -a will list all connections, including MAC addresses. very handy to know)

Third, we force a PC/User group settings refresh (will happen at next boot)

Fourth, we reset the TCP/IP protocol settings to defaults. (This actually fixes some bottlenecking in protocol layers)

Fifth, we reset winsock (fixes timing issue, and both sections get resynced at boot. MUST BOOT at this point.

Last, we force an immediate reboot. (another handy command).

Once the system reboots, you are now in DHCP mode, and timings have been reset.

So why does this happen? After years of tracking how this gets caused, or better ways to fix it, the people who use video conferencing seem to make this fail more often, but I still can't figure out what is really happening yet.

This is the simple solution. If this fails, go into the protocol list for any adapter, click install, click have disk and point to "c:\windows\inf" and select TCP/IP. This is roughly the same as the procedure above, but changes other entries. Good for Win2k.

The last solution that fixes this when all else fails, go into Device Manager, remove the network adapter(s) [Leave drivers, Vista+], then immediately reboot. -- on reboot, drivers are reinstalled, new UniqueID for device generated, and all settings reset, firewall settings added to fresh installation, and other strange issues fixed.

Sorry this is 2 years to late, but I am dealing with this a lot lately, and can't find a solution yet either.

-- Note, "Null" is the output filename, which is normally listed as c:\temp.txt, but some windows versions won't allow writing to the root, and can be replaced with c:\windows\temp\temp.txt, since this directory is likely to exist.

Good luck, and I do hope to figure this out one day.
!