How to keep roaches away from inside case?

sources

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
I live in a less than friendly home where roaches can crawl through. I try sprays and whatnot and it helps a little but my parents don't want to bomb the place, dirty people they are. Anyway, I got the centurion 5 and it seems like it has very big holes for vents, so I don't know what to do incase of bugs crawling in which they can easily do.

I ordered this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129018 because it seems to have less holes just on the back. Anyway, if you guys know how I may be able to keep this case I'd be grateful. Is there anything I can put that can repel them? Is putting a little gate or plastic wrap over the holes with tiny holes popped in the wrap ok? Any ideas?

Put a mothball or two in your case. You really don't want to reduce airflow. Of course, that might create a smell problem (so don't use too many). You could put pieces of ladies' stockings over all openings, but you'd really cut the airflow. You could put a sticky trap in the bottom of your case and catch the buggers that crawl in, changing it every month or so if there are bugs on it.

G

Take a dry Swiffer pad that you can buy at the grocery store and cut it into sizes that will fit. Then secure it to the vents of your case. Many people do this to prevent dust from getting in their cases. If it stops dust, it'll stop roaches unless they eat through it.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

GAK!!, EWE!!, Roaches, I hate them. First off, if your parents wish to live in a roach motel thats their call but that doesn't mean you can't bomb the room or office that the computer is in, just close it off from the rest of the house if possible and keep bombing on a regular basis to keep from reinfesting your living quarters...ewe., I get the whillies thinking about that.

I'll tell ya'll a story. I was once asked to "fix" a computer that had quit working from this really nice lady I knew. She is a dear so I went to her house and met her daughter, son-in-law and two little kids along with 3 or 4 fat dogs. All of them the nicest sweetest people you would ever want to meet. This did not explain why their home was a total disaster area HEAVILY infested by garbage, piles of clothes and ROACHES! This was the middle of the day and there where roaches crawling on the walls, the tables and every single item in the house. I could hardly sit down for fear of roaches crawling on me, I almost ran out the door. I told them I needed to a look at the computer more closely and figure out the various problems they where having. Fortunately I had a large hefty bag in my car, (a classic Porsche928S and put the computer in the bag and sealed it tight for fear of spreading roaches in my car.

I got the computer home and in the driveway, I got a can of raid and sprayed half a can of it into the bag and computer and sealed it back up. Hours later still outside in the driveway I opened the bag back up and carefully began prying into the computer. There were still some live roaches inside the computer. I took the whole thing apart, I mean everything, all the drives, removed the motherboard and had to actually take the floppy casing apart because so many roaches had crawled inside that their excrement, to put it nicely, had clogged up the heads and moving part of the drive. There was roach excrement ALL inside and all over every part of the computer. It was possibly the nastiest thing I have every seen. I pressure washed the whole case outside and cleaned it out outside wearing gloves. I would never do this again for anyone but these folks. As i said they are the kindest people but their living habits leave much to be desired. I fear for their children. They have since moved to Kentucky or somewhere like this.

Don't every allow yourself to get to this point, it just isn't sanitary. :pfff:

Reactions: yash.veer.yv26

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Scotch Brite scouring pads work well for this too and don't restrict flow very much.

Also, as a temporary solution, you could elevate the case some. for example, you could use 4 pieces of 2" PVC plumbing fittings. Then, you could put those insect sticky pads at the base of each of the 4 PVC fittings as that would be the only way the little monsters could climb to the case.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Call your local health department for help.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
roach.jpg

danobrega

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
Dude... sell your computer and buy some stuff to clean the house. FFS, roaches inside the computer are the least of your problems...

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006

Sorry but.........LOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOL

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I agree... you've got to remove the source of the roaches.

Covering the vents to your computer is like putting a bandaid on a severed limb.

Call someone. Living in those conditions is atrocious.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Your problems are much bigger than roaches in your case.
Just having roaches inside your house is a big enough problem.

^ Get a RAID card.. Maybe a 1000w PSU & a P4 can cook a few.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I would say. Be pro-active and start cleaning the whole house without being asked. If there is garbage, throw it away. If it is a bunch of clutter and junk that isnt yours, put it in trash bags and tell them to put it up someplace. Vacuum all carpets , then rent a carpet shampoo machine. Then go to Home depo or some place like that and buy roach poison. There are some powder type stuff that works great. It stays in place in the cracks of the floor and such. Sprinkle the poison around the entire interior perimeter of the house.

Clean out/vacuum all of the furniture cousions. Remove all crumbs/food from areas. Dont want to keep them fed.

Then buy bombs, read the instructions and use them when your parrents are away. just do it. If they complain tell them if they don't let you, you will report them to CPS.

Step up to the plate and take control. If you make their living experience better and it doesn't cost them any time or money because you are doing it all , they shouldn't care.

Have fun!