Processor Problem

the_pulp

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
My Processor - Intel P4 3GHz (630)

When cleaning my pc, i accidentally broke my cpu fan then i called an engineer to replace it. He did it. But after that i started getting low fps in games, high temp. Then someone suggested me to use thermal paste. But even after applying thermal paste i am getting low fps, poor performance, high temp. The fan which i am using is pirated. Is this due to pirated fan? :( :(

I have told my engineer to get me genuine fan.

Here is the screenshot of speed fan(see the temp):

One thing i didn't understand. Why it is showing 0 RPM?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
It could show 0 rpm for many reasons even if the fan is running, disabled in the bios, disabled in the software your using, or other scenarios.

Regarding the situation, it seems the heatsink wasn't mounted properly, reseat it and make sure there is some thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu heat spreader. Your low frame rate is probably due to the temperatures getting too hot, and the cpu throttles down to avoid damage, try not to use your pc too much until you reseat it. It is not THAT difficult to reseat a heatsink, you may as well just do it yourself.

Whoever you called to do it for you, I'm sorry to say, is an idiot. Apply a heat sink without even checking the temperature? Talk about idiotic. Re-seat the heat sink and thermal paste, all problems will be solved.

the_pulp

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Fan is enabled from Bios.

My engineer has already applied thermal paste but still same problem(lowfps in games, high temp.).

btw my cpu fan is pirated/bull$hit.

I think by using genuine fan will solve the problem?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
?...there is no such thing as genuine or pirated fan. Also, check your temp in your bios to confirm the temperatures from speedfan. If you are overheating, your performance would drop, that's a throttle feature to avoid damage. Re-seat the heatsink, make sure there isn't too much paste, and not too little.

Chances are, it's the heatsink mounted badly, or the fan is not good enough, try to re-seat it, if that doesn't work, get a new fan or heatsink.

the_pulp

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
The fan/heatsink is mounted properly with thermal paste.

The new fan/heatsink which i am using is very cheap/local. Maybe my cpu is not supporting it.
The temp. in bios is same as speed fan showing.

My engineer will come 2morrow and install genuine fan (of Intel Company).

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Ahhh..I see what you mean by genuine now. The one he brought is a aftermarket heatsink/fan and not a retail stock heatsink.

Regarding the mounting, it doesn't matter if it is mounted correctly, it could still be a bad mount with too much or little thermal goop. It's very common to place it badly and get high temps, then reseat it along with the thermal paste again to fix the problem. But if he's coming tomorrow just let it be. I'm surprised he didn't check the temps though before with the heatsink he used.

P4 processors normally run hot. As long as the fan spins and the air is directed towards the heat sink, any fan should do. I would suggest that an aftermarket cpu cooler be used to replace the stock cooler. It will keep your cpu cooler, and be quieter. Look for a heatpipe type with a 120mm fan.

---good luck---

the_pulp

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Guys today i started my computer and ran speedfan.

Guess what? Temp. was a bit low (62-65 degree celcius) and game was running a bit fast. :D :D

Now, i am back to same sh1tty problem. :( :fou:

Btw, My engineer will install new fan today.
Hope it will solve the problem. :kaola: :kaola: