Sign in with
Your question

Possible to adapt 2.5in. SSD in 3.5in. slot?

Last response: in Storage
January 28, 2009 8:54:46 PM

Well foolishly forgot about form factor compatibility with my new case (antec 900) and thanks to newegg's HD return policy I am now stuck with a 64Gb SSD (which wont be a bad thing if it works), are there any 2.5 to 3.5 adapters? It looks like all I need are the standard power supply connections and the SATA cable. I suppose I could just tape the drive down to the bay near the bottom of the case. Thoughts?

Thanks!

More about : adapt 5in ssd 5in slot

January 29, 2009 12:56:16 AM

Yeah shouldn't be a problem at all, in fact you can create one yourself from plastic. It's just a size problem, if you can't find adapters you can always tape it, and since SSD's don't have moving parts there shouldn't be any problem with tape.
January 29, 2009 1:20:50 AM

Thanks for the response! Just out of curiosity do 3.5in form factor SSD's even exist? I went back to newegg thinking I was an idiot for getting the wrong size but turns out newegg doesn't offer any 3.5in. Seems like installing games and the OS to one of these would be an attractive option unless I'm missing something big. From what I understand these drives suffer from not being able to write over data as often as HDDs, but that there were ways to minimize the impact of this by, for example, turning off page filing? Any good resources on how to get the most out of your SSD?
January 29, 2009 1:36:36 AM

Hm. After a few minutes looking through hard drive threads I see that I may have been a bit hasty on getting the SSD. Seems like the technology is not as mature as I thought it was going to be and a few high density HDDs in a RAID 0 array would be competitive with or surpass the SSD read/write times, with better stability to boot. I may be spoiled from proximon's guide to current system build considerations, but is there something consolidated on different HDD arrays, pros and cons, and compared to SSDs?
January 30, 2009 1:18:24 PM

NewEgg sells a SSD adapter that houses a 2.5" drive into a 3.5" drive bay. That should work. It's made by Icy Dock and it's about $20.
!